It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2006, 10:21 AM   #1
(female)

peacetou HB User
Black Spots on Big Toe Nails - Nails Lifting!

Hi,
About 2 months ago, I went to the nail shop to get a pedicure (I go every 2 weeks). When she took off the dark polish I noticed a dark spot under my left big toe nail, toward the inner toe by the top.. about the size of a pea. I thought it was a bruise and I ignored it. Two weeks later at my next appointment, when the polish was taken off there was ANOTHER black spot under by other big toenail, on the bottom right by the cuticle. Dark - blackish in color. I had gone to Disneyland the week before and my feet and toes were KILLING me from walking so much in new shoes, so I was thinking these were bruises.
Last night while giving myself a pedicure, I noticed that my big toenails were lifting on the sides where the "bruises" are. I'm so scared they will completely fall off! I wonder if it is fungus or a bruise! How can I tell?
The right toe spot is much darker than the left toe.. blackish in color. It's been 2 months and the spot doesn't seem to be growing out (still down where the cuticle is) The left is more dark brown and seems to be growing with the nail.
Help!! What do I do? what is it?
Thanks!

Old 12-13-2006, 01:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Black Spots on Big Toe Nails - Nails Lifting!

The black bruise by the cuticle will eventually grow forward, but remember, toe nails grow MUCH slower than fingernails and can take up to a year to completely replace themselves.

If the brown discoloration on the other toe is on the side of the free edge and the nail plate has lifted, chances are that you aquired a Pseudomonas Bacterial infection from unsanitary conditions or implements and files at your salon. You can help kill the bacteria by applying alcohol into the area of separation and to the surface of the effected nail. YOu will have to remove the polish form this nail as the alcohol will 'melt' it to a certain degree. You will need to keep it clean and dry until the discoloration and lifted portion have completely grown off the free edge.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2006, 08:43 AM   #3
(female)

peacetou HB User
Re: Black Spots on Big Toe Nails - Nails Lifting!

Thanks so much Marti! You're a star!

Closed Thread