It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2007, 12:35 PM   #1
(female)

Amandakay133 HB User
What is this black splinter looking mark under my fingernail?

I have a black splinter looking mark under my right index fingernail.. its not at the end so i know its not a splinter. I had one on a different finger a month ago. Any ideas on what this could be? Iv been reading about it and i read that it can be caused by endocarditis.. thats really scary! wouldnt i have more of them if that was the case?? i recently had some bloodwork done for panic attack symptoms and it came back normal and my EKG was normal so wouldnt they have found something then if it was serious? or maybe not because they didnt test for that certain thing... anyone with any word on this please help me out...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2007, 02:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: What is this black splinter looking mark under my fingernail?

Splinter hemorraghes are caused by voids between the nail plate cells during production in the Matrix. The voids then ca fill up with blood from the underlying nail bed and look just like a tiny splinter under the nail. They will grow out with the nail plate. They occur in some people and not in others. You may have them a few times and never again. There is no known reason why this occurs, but there is much speculation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2007, 08:53 AM   #3
(female)

Amandakay133 HB User
Re: What is this black splinter looking mark under my fingernail?

Thank you for your input marti... i called my doctor, he said to just come in tuesday and he will take a look... better safe than sorry.... the internet is a scary place, i typed in splinter hemorrhage and it brought up some pretty scary stuff!!

Closed Thread