It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2007, 03:05 AM   #1
(male)

Bob Brown HB User
Toenail fungual infection update

I have posted on and off about my moderate infection.

I am up to my wit's end with this nasty, horrid, un-healthy affliction that plagues my life. At this point, I've tried many home remedies without much success. The only thing that showed progress was the Amoresse Thymol and that didn't get rid of the infection, just improved it somewhat. After that, I've tried Vicks which didn't seem to do anything. I've tried vinegar, nada. I've tried special creams that I purchased via the Internet, nothing. Blow after blow, I've become depressed and wondering if this affliction will be with me for the rest of my life (I'm relatively young). I just don't know what to do anymore. I've been hiding this from my girlfriend of three years because I fear she will be totally grossed out if she knew. I want to get rid of this badly. We can't even take long walks on the beach.

Despite that, I haven't tried Tea Tree Oil yet. Actually I may have tried it in the past, I've tried so many remedies, but I just gave up on it. Tea Tree is my last hope. I'm appealing to the members here who have tried Tea Tree. What potency should I get? Is this something I can get at Wal-Mart? How should I apply it?

Lamisil isn't an option because I'm not insured and that stuff is expensive plus I'm concerned about the liver tests.

Thank you for reading this. Perhaps some of you can relate, and those that can know how frustrating it is just to kill these spores.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2007, 06:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Toenail fungual infection update

Fungus is VERY hard to kill. You need to pick ONE treatment and stick with it twice a day for a full year or until the nail is completely normal again. I know it is aggrivating, but even the Lamasil tablets will not kill it since you can only take them for three months. They are good for a 'beginning' infection, but not one that has been active for a while.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:27 PM   #3
(female)

TV in RV HB User

Hi,

deleted

Tea tree oil is used for the prevention of fungus. It will not get rid of it. The longer you have a fungus the harder it is to get rid of. Clorox is the best alternative to an actual prescription from your doctor. I have even heard a dorctor say (outside of his office) that clorox works better than any thing he can offer, but since it is strong then you must make sure that there are no open wounds or scratches on the skin. First buy a new bottle of clorox. This insures the potentcy. Do not leave the lid off or transfer it to another bottle. Use either a long horse hair paint brush or q-tip to dip in the bottle. Apply the clorox to the under side of your nail twice a day everyday. Consistancy is the key. Otherwise it will just lay dormant and never go away. Also you must kepp the nail trimmed as short as possible, unless it is lifting further than half of the nail bed. Trimming too much can cause a permanent ingrown. Keep it clean as possible. Buy a nail brush. Good luck

Last edited by Administrator; 08-02-2007 at 08:53 PM. Reason: inappropriate comment

Old 01-16-2007, 09:01 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Alagaesia HB User

Its going to take a few months to fully clear up with whatever treatment you try. If you try the tea tree oil make sure its 100 %. Go to a health store to find it. They usually have a few to choose from. You can also try lavendar oil. Just rub that all over the fungus infected area. That too will take a while to work. There are also some anti fungul supplements to try.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User

I would definately see a repuptable podiatrist about your problem. It seems as though you're going around in circles.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Tea Tree Oil is a natural antiseptic and a skin dehydrator. It is used mainly for bacterial infections and to dry up weeping skin sores. It will not 'kill' a fungal infection - it will only remove the moisture that the infection needs to live and grow.

Clorox has a warning label that says not to expose your skin to the product as it is a known skin irritant and severe allergic reaction can occur.

I also am a nail technician with over 37 years experience in the field and am nationally recognized as an expert in my field. Never would I recommend clorox for an infection. As nail technicians, we are only certified to 'recognize' nail diseases and disorders, not to diagnose or prescribe. If you use clorox in your salon, or recommend it to a client, you could lose your license if they were to complain to State Board.

If anyone has a problem getting rid of nail fungus, they should visit their podiatrist for medical intervention and prescription. Like I said, true fungus is VERY hard to kill!!!

Last edited by Marti; 01-18-2007 at 09:18 AM.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:01 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Partner suffered for 30 years with infections on both big toenails and several on the smaller toes. His nails were1/4 inch thick and mixed shades of black and green.
We tried Vicks,' tea tree oil for a year, and Clorox for a month (til his feet were getting so red and irritated we had to stop.)
Then topical miconozole liquid for 2 months...
NOTHING touched the fungus.
Then we tried 6 months of oral griseofulvin...NO RESULTS!

Forty-Five Days of Lamisil tablets did the trick and his nails are pink and healthy. We followed up with 45 days of TOPICAL Lamisil liquid, just in case...to keep spores off the newly emerging nails. They have remained healthy for 3 years and counting.

My sister went thought the same rigmarole BEFORE Lamisil and had ALL her nails surgically removed TWICE but the fungus grew back each time. Then she had her nail beds removed and paints her toe now...no nails. Pity Lamisil wasn't around then.

IF you have severely fungused nails, you have no real choice...Lamisil or live with the disgusting nails. NOTHING else works.

(Psst, TV in RV, HOW does one get Clorox UNDER the nails?)

If someone wants to try something CHEAPER than Lamisil, look into 6 months of oral ketoconazole (Nozoral)...it is ALSO very hard on the liver and has a greater chance of failing. If it happened to me I'd bite the bullet and go for the $$$$$ Lamisil $$$$$! Yes, the price IS excruciating.

Last edited by Lenin; 01-19-2007 at 06:06 AM.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:15 PM   #8
(female)

TV in RV HB User

I saw the blow dryer tip on good morning america. They said to do it before putting on your shoes. Keeping them dry and clean will speed the healing process. Maybe try wearing sandals. Soaking your feet in salt water will also help break up the crud under and around the nail (doctor reccomended).

Old 01-21-2007, 04:30 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Soaking your feet in salted water will also help to break up calloused skin. Saok until the skin is really soft, then dry the feet and use a pumice stone to remove the outer layer of callous. After about a month of this, the callous will be gone.

My feet always look the best in the summer from visiting the beach so often

Old 01-26-2007, 06:42 AM   #10
(male)

WasFatNoMore HB UserWasFatNoMore HB User

What kind of salt water? Table salt, Kosher salt or Epsom salts? And is there a certain ratio? Like X quarts to X number of tablespoons?

Thanks.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:57 AM   #11
(female)

TV in RV HB User

Table salt works fine. The more salt used the better the outcome. Use your own discretion. Too much too often might cause irritation. Use warm or hot water.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:40 AM   #12
(male)

Bob Brown HB User

Thanks all. I tried the vinegar but only for a short time so I may go back to that and stick with it. Besides that and Tea Tree Oil, I'm out of options.

Thank you.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:28 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

To a gallon of water, add one cup of table salt or 1/2 cup of sea salt. The water should be jacuzzi temperature warm and you should soak for a minimum of 15 minutes 3 times a week. Dry your feet with a towel, then use the blow dryer set on warm. Apply your treatment of choice twice daily - in the morning and before bed. Do not stop or change treatments. It can take at least a year to kill a fungal infection, so you need to be diligent in your applications.

Closed Thread