It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2007, 11:10 PM   #1
(male)

beach8411 HB User
small toenails

My dad has the wierdest small toenails. they are almost not existent but they are just like a small hangnail or something. My small toenails aren't much better. They are small and seem to grow up. Does anyone know what could cause this?

Old 02-11-2007, 07:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: small toenails

The nail plate cells are 'born' in the Matrix. You can see the leading edge of the matrix in your fingernails - it is the white half-moon at the base of the nail that we call the Lunula. The longer the Matrix, the longer the nail bed. If the matrix is narrow, the nails will be narrow. There is nothing you can do about this as it is genetic.

As for the nail growing upwards (ski-jump nails), this is also genetic. Mine do this, my parents do this and my sisters do this. The nail bed will follow the shape of the underlying fingertip (or toe tip) bone. If the bone is straight, the nail will grow straight; if it curved downward, the nail will curve downward, if it ski-jumps, the nail will grow upward.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2007, 06:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User
Re: small toenails

I thought the PP's comments were very interesting and I also wanted you to know that you are not alone! At least it gives me the opportunity to talk about some part of my body being small. That is something to consider, LOL!

Nancy

Closed Thread