It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2007, 08:15 PM   #1
(female)

jay_bert HB User
Question Extremely noticable weird ridges on thumbnails

Hi all! I have a question in regards to ridges on nails. Marti, I've read some of your posting in this regards, but I think my mom's situation is different. I understand all of us naturally have ridges and grooves in our nails due to normal growth--but my mother looks like she's growing mountains on her thumbs. I am totally serious. For the longest time, she has had extremely brittle nails that would split and crack at the slightest bump. She's always kept them trimmed very short to try and minimize snagging her clothes because of how badly split her nails are. For years, she has tried many different therapies (calcium vitamins, filing the top of the nail, cuticle oil, etc). Then about a year ago she developed a very noticible ridge growing from the nail bed to just past the pink moon shaped thingy (I can't remember what you guys call it . . . ). Last month, on both of her thumbnails those ridges have become almost like mountains, they're so tall. It's the wierdest thing I've ever seen--it's like taking a piece of paper, laying it on a flat surface and sliding the ends together until the middle forms a tall peak. I've been politely after her to try and figure this out, because I'm getting worried now that her nail looks like something out of a sci-fi movie. Has any of you encountered this at all? Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.

Side notes: she has talked to her PCP about it and he suggested a vitamin deficincy (calcium-which she has been taking with no results), has fibromyalgia, IBS and has had a appendectimy--hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2007, 06:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Extremely noticable weird ridges on thumbnails

My sister has fibromyalgia but doesn't have this problem with her nails. She might want to see a dermatologist about the nail condition. Any change in the nail plate is cause for concern, and this seems to be of BIG concern. Usually if the matrix is damaged, it will sink inward and form horizontal ridges, but if the matrix is increasing in size, there is definatly something wrong. She may have to see an internist in case it could be something systemic.

Last edited by Marti; 02-15-2007 at 06:42 PM.

Closed Thread