It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2007, 04:58 PM   #1
(female)

troubadour HB User
Nail growing as a raised bump

After trying to fix many ingrown toenails on my left big toe, the nail has started to grow into a raised bump. I don't think it is a thickened layer of nail; there is actual flesh that is raised up underneath it, that is why when I tried to cut it, it bled and hurt horribly. This deformed area crosses about 3/4 of the way over to the other side of my nail, but the corner of that side still produces flat nail. Does anyone know if this will grow out? Is this permanent? I am worried it is permanent because it is still growing a large bump as far back to the root of the nail that I can see.

I can't get a referral from my podiatrist until I am back home from college again, and that isn't until May. How would a podiatrist attack this problem? Is it possible this is toenail fungus? Why does it bleed when it is cut?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Nail growing as a raised bump

It sounds like it might be a fungal infection. The raised skin underneath is the nail bed, which is why it bleeds when you cut it. Repeatedly doing this can cause permanent injury to the nail bed. Don't cut it like this again until after you can see your physician.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2007, 09:05 PM   #3
(female)

troubadour HB User
Re: Nail growing as a raised bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marti View Post
It sounds like it might be a fungal infection. The raised skin underneath is the nail bed, which is why it bleeds when you cut it. Repeatedly doing this can cause permanent injury to the nail bed. Don't cut it like this again until after you can see your physician.
I won't cut it anymore. I really wish I could see a podiatrist right now, but that isn't feasible. I have had ingrown toenails since I was 9 and I believe trying to fix them myself is how I got the toenail fungus, not to mention the various bacterial infections I've had throughout the years. I hope to talk to a podiatrist about preventing my ingrown toenails (partial nail avulsion) and then curing my fungal infection if I do have one.

Do you have any idea what sort of treatment there is for this bump? Do you think they would remove the whole nail for re-growth? I suspect I have toenail fungus because the ends of my nails turn yellow if they grow out long enough, and there is debris under it. However, I assumed that this bump was caused by me because it isn't yellowing like the ends of my toenail. The part that is the raised bump is actually pearl/opaque colored, where the other part of the nail is the normal pinkish color (except the ends, of course).

Closed Thread