It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2007, 11:57 PM   #1
(female)

loana0320 HB User
2 year old fingernail accident

Well today was out first real scared apparently my 5 year old was playing with my 2 year old and he closed the door on his fingertip not the first time either he slammed it and his finger was on the hinges sides... so of course blood came out and I rushed him to the dr as soona s I saw a huge cut... well the dr took care and cleaned him up but told me there is really nothing he could do as meaning no stitches that the cut was right on the root of the nail so the pressure apparently popped the root of the nail thru the skin my poor baby but the rest of the nail is attached... the dr said is not for certain that the nail will grow back or not that sometimes it does and sometimes it does not... I am just concerned about the nail will it fall off? is still attached on the normal part of thenail.. is the root that is sticking out the dr will see him back on Tuesday and told me to keep his affected area with gauze and dry and when changing it to put theantibiotic cream on... He had smashed his finger a few months ago at the dr's office and his hail came off and grew back but I amnot sure if thise one since it's popping out the root will not do the same
I cannot sleep my stomach is in knotts thinking of how muchpain this caused him and to look at it I feel pain ouch... he is sleeping fine I gave him tylenol but still... anyone have anything related to this?
I have pics but not sure if we are allowed to show and they are a bit bloody so not sure I will offend anyone, anyhow any help is appreciated...
hubby did not let me go to walmart tonight to look for some door proofing items but I am going first thing tomorrow am

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2007, 06:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: 2 year old fingernail accident

Keep the area clean and dry. When you wrap it with the gauze, do not use a bandaid or tape to keep the wrapping on the finger as this can allow too much moisture to build up which will prevent healing and could allow a bacterial infection to develop - in spite of the antibacterial ointment. Use the ends of the gauze to tie the bandage onto the finger. Change the bandage twice a day and apply the ointment as well.

When the nail root receives a trauma such as this, chances are that it will either grow in with permanent damage, or it may never grow again. One does not know exactly what will happen. The nail plate cells are 'born' in the root (matrix) and when it sustains this type of damage, usually any nail palte cells that the remaining portion of root may develop will either be permanently damaged, the nail plate may be very thin, or it may not develop nail plate cells at all. The portion of nail that was cut will separate from the nail bed but the remaining portion will stay firmly attached until it grows off the free edge. You will not know if the undamaged portion of nail root will develop new nail plate cells until it has totally healed and the old nail plate pushes the damaged portion forward. Depending on his genetics, this can take from 3 - 6 months.

Tylenol is all he needs for any pain he is experiencing and the ointment and gauze bandage is all he needs to protect it. Kids are very resilient adn he won't worry about it unless it is causing him pain. No need to rush out and buy a bunch of stuff he doesn't need.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

Hi, I did this very same thng to my son when he was 1 1/2 years old, he just kept holding onto the inside of the door and one time I didn't realize his hand was there and shut the door, picked him up and started walking while he was crying and then felt the blood running down my shoulder from his finger. Rushed him to the emergency room, they stitched it up, it took off the very tip of his finger. He did not lose his nail. His nail is just a little flatter on that finger at the tip, but no problems, he is now 35 and no problems. He also won't let me forget it!

Old 03-15-2007, 01:47 PM   #4
(female)

loana0320 HB User

Thank you so much for you all's help!
one last question... since the nail root is what popped thru the skin the rest of the nail is attached still? will it just have to grow out? or how will it fall off?
I am starting a photography business and a couple of months ago i took a picture of a couple who was expecting their first and the guy had something wrong with his fingernail in the thumb like he had no nial but just thck skin it looked weird and last nigth is all I could think about I hope and pray his nail will come out again I will never forgive myself if it does not
My 5 year odl is still grounded until 5pm in his room

Old 03-15-2007, 01:48 PM   #5
(female)

loana0320 HB User

ohh yeah and also can I clean it? if so with what? just water?

Old 03-15-2007, 07:39 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Clean it with warm soapy water and rinse it really well under warm running water. Dry it as best you can and to be sure all the 'water' is dry, you can use your blow dryer set on warm and a low speed. Apply the ointment and then wrap with the gauze.

You won't know if the nail will grow back normal or not for at least 3-6 months. it can take this long for the nail to completaly replace itself from the cuticle to the free edge - depending on his genetics.

I am suspecting that what you are seeing as 'ripped out nail root' is actually the portion of nail plate that is developed under the skin that goes from the cuticle to the first knuckle. The actual root lies very deep under the skin and the farthest part almost touches the underlying bone and goes back as far as the first knuckle. If the portion that you are calling the 'root' is semi-hard, it is probably just the already formed nail plate from underneath the cuticle area. If it is not very long and doesn't have tissue sticking to it, then he didn't rip out the root. That is nearly an impossible feat to accomplish unless it is surgically removed. To remove the root of the nail, one woul dhave to undergo a surgical procedure that could split the skin from the cuticle to the first knuckle and the entire root would have to be excised.

He will be fine and he won't worry about it unless you over-react in front of him. Kids are very resilient and so are their bodies. They heal fast and forget fast. -- thank goodness!!

Old 03-15-2007, 08:06 PM   #7
(female)

loana0320 HB User

Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooo much Marti!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am thinking you are right I am sure is not thr root is definitely not by the first knuckle!
Thanks again I will keep you updated!
I see you are very close to me Ia m in Sugar Land TX ) perhaps I chould show you his owie LOL...
Thanks again I really really appreciated!

Old 05-19-2008, 10:49 AM   #8
(male)

jason10101 HB User
Unhappy Re: 2 year old fingernail accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by loana0320 View Post
Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooo much Marti!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am thinking you are right I am sure is not thr root is definitely not by the first knuckle!
Thanks again I will keep you updated!
I see you are very close to me Ia m in Sugar Land TX ) perhaps I chould show you his owie LOL...
Thanks again I really really appreciated!

Hello,

I did the same thing to my finger today. I got the middle finger caught in a lift machine a work. It smashed the finger so hard that the nail popped out of the fold on the knuckle side, but the nail is still attached to the nail base, just like what happened your son.

Now I am an adult, and this is traumatizing for me, so I can only imagine what your son went through, and what you must of gone through watching him.

I don't have health insurance at work, so I must ride this one out.

My question is, did your son's fingernail grow back ok? How long did it take?

I noticed that some Doctors want to put the nail 'back' under the 'fold', to let it heal. Your Doctor did not do this to your son, so I am particularly curious as to your son's outcome.

I am just as terrified as you were that the nail may never grow back, or grow back deformed.

Thank You.

Jason

Last edited by jason10101; 05-19-2008 at 11:50 AM.

Closed Thread