It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2007, 02:32 PM   #1
(female)

windy75 HB User
Thumbs down Need advice and info on nail fungus

I have had a fungus on my right thumbnail for a couple months. Have been treating it twice a day with a product containing thymol. While this seems to have stopped the spread, it doesn't seem to be doing anything else. The nail is separated from the nail bed in the entire upper left quadrant of the nail/nail bed and the matter underneath the nail is a cloudy yellowish color which is very unsightly.

When the fungus is cleared, does the nail reattach to the nail bed? The nail grows, but I was expecting to see the healthy pink area of the nail bed progress upward get larger along with the growth. I do quite a lot of typing on a daily basis (at least 50% of my work day) and that area of my thumb is the one that does all the banging on the spacebar. Is this a contributing factor to the lack of progress?

What can I expect in the future? Will the nail ever reattach to the nail bed where it is now separated? Assuming the fungus is dead, how long with this take?

I've been reading a lot on this board about treating with vinegar. Is this more effective than the solutions with thymol? What about Leucatin? Is this effective?

Thanks for any help or advice anyone has to offer. I am eager to read your responses.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2007, 06:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Need advice and info on nail fungus

Different produt work for different people; whatever you use, it can take upwards of a full year to totally kill all the fungal spores. Fungal spores live deep within the nail palte layers and in the soft tissues of the nail bed.

The 'unsightly' stuff in the area of separation is just the waste of the infection. fungal spores eat the proteins in the nail plate for 'food' and leave behind debris in the area of separation.

No, the nail will not reattach to the nail bed; it will only be forced forward toward the free edge as new nail cells are created in the matrix.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread