It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2007, 12:09 PM   #1
(female)

bubbles44 HB User
HELP - Polish Causing my Nails to Peel - WHY?

I've searched everywhere for an answer to my problem and I am really hoping someone here could shed some light.

I haven't worn any nail polish in over 5 years.

Week 1 - Went to a nail salon and had a manicure.

Week 2 - removed polish with non-acetone (Sally Hansen) remover. Applied 1 coat clear base, 2 coat color and 1 coat of clear top coat

Week 3 - removed polish with non-acetone (Sally Hansen) remover. Noticed the top part of my nail over the nail bed was getting rough. Applied polish as in week 2

Week 4 - remove polish and now the top layer of the nails were peeling (over the nail bed). Applied oil to the nails then polish as in week 2

Week 5 - removed polish and the middle of my nails were a mess. They were peeling really bad.

The peeling/splitting is in the center of the nail, on the nail bed, NOT at the ends. I though that maybe the girl who did my manicure simply buffed or smoothed my nails too much and made them thin in those spots. My solution was to cut my nails short and keep the short until the peeling part was finally grown enough to cut off. It took approx 3/4 months.

Fast forward to 3 weeks ago. My nails started to have enough length that polish will look nice.

Week 1 - Applied 1 coat clear base, 2 coat color and 1 coat of clear top coat.

Week 2 - Removed polish with non-acetone (Sally Hansen) No peeling. Applied 1 coat clear base, 2 coat color and 1 coat of clear top coat.

Week 3 - Removed polish with non-acetone (Sally Hansen) No peeling. Applied 1 coat clear base, 2 coat color and 1 coat of clear top coat

Week 4 - Removed polish with non-acetone (Sally Hansen) My nails are starting to peeling again!

This is not an environmental problem. I have never had any peeling issues with my nails - ever. I've never had any kind of acrylic nails. The peeling ONLY occurs after I have polish on my nails.

I've used Solar oil and Jojoba oil on my nails when they were unpolished but it only offered temporary help. Once it dries out (after an hour or so) the nails continue to peel.

Help! I really want to polish my nails but I am afraid to apply any more polish because the peeling will continue and I don't want to do more damage!

Can anyone please offer suggestions (or help) on why this is happening and what I can do to prevent it?

PLEASE!

The Following User Says Thank You to bubbles44 For This Useful Post:
queenosabe (07-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2007, 06:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: HELP - Polish Causing my Nails to Peel - WHY?

The only things that will wick the natural oils and moisture from the nails is having your hands in water a lot, using househiold cleaning solutions without wearing protective gloves, using strong solvents on the nail plate or having a reaction to the Formaldehyde, Formalin or Toluene in the nail polish.

I would suggest going to Sally Beauty Supply and purchasing a 3-way buffer. Buff the surface of the nails with the black side to remove the roughness, the white side to refine and the grey side to high shine. Doing this will help to remove the peeling and to seal the surface nail plate layer.

Keep them short until all the peeling has grown off the free edge. You can buff them to a high shine as needed, but do not use the black side too often. Just use the white and grey sides to keep them shiney. Keep using your Solar Oil and even apply it under the free edge.

FYI: Formaldehyde is a preservative that will wick the natural oils and moisture from the nail plate, leaving it somewhat dried out. Also, using non-acetone polish remover is not a good idea. It isn't strong enough to quickly remove the polish and since it takes longer, the chemicals remain on your nail plate longer and can dry it out even more than regular nail polish remover. I never recommend the use of non-acetone removers for natural nails or artificial nails.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:13 AM   #3
(female)

bubbles44 HB User
Re: HELP - Polish Causing my Nails to Peel - WHY?

Marti,

Thanks for the help!

Now that you mention the various solvents I am thinking that may be what is drying the nails out.

I am off to purchase a 3-sided buffer, acetone polish remover and a more solvant free base coat polish.

Thanks again!

The Following User Says Thank You to bubbles44 For This Useful Post:
kayylove123 (08-09-2012)
Closed Thread