It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2007, 11:58 PM   #1
(male)

Technomage HB User
Whats happening with my nail????

Well i've had a toenail fungus problem in my big toe for a long time, and its never spread. I tried H2o2 on the nail and it didn't work, and now im trying a combo DMSO, tea tree, and oregano oil mixture, first time i applied it my toe burn like crazy but i didn't mind the pain too much, now today about 2 weeks later i found the sides of the nail( flesh part) very soft and pain full, and apon closer inspect it was yellowish in color, so i decide to poke it with a pin, and to my surprise a lot of puss came out, i mean a lot of this yellow puss. Is this normal, is my nail healing? also my nail is whiter and pinker now, but i can see the yellow this in the nail above a certain portion. So my question is, is my nail healing?

Old 04-07-2007, 12:32 AM   #2
(female)

sophiajmb HB User
Re: Whats happening with my nail????

no its not. it sounds like your toe is infected. i would see a doctor as soon as possible.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2007, 11:15 AM   #3
(male)

Rig9300 HB User

Ya, I had the same thing happen. It seems the Tee Tree oil is so strong it damages the flesh. I formed a line that became a split. It all healed up after I stopped. It seems you need to keep the oil on the nail and not on the skin.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Tea Tree Oil is a natural antiseptic and should never be used on the skin full strength as it is very drying to the skin. I have used Tea Tree Oil full strength for more than 10 years, but only on cuts, scrapes and burns to kill any surface bacteria. Using it full strength can literally 'burn' the soft tissues of the nail bed. It would not, however; give you an infection, nor would it allow an infection to surface. I believe it was the combination of the drugs you wereusing - oil of oregano can burn the skin as well and ifyou combined the three together (Tea Tree, Oil of Oregano and DMSO), then yes, you could have burned the skin, left it raw and a live bacteria moved in and set up housekeeping, turning into a full blown infection. See your doctor for som antibiotics for the infection. Keep it clean and dry (dry meaning, do not allow it to be 'wet' with water for long periods).

If the infection is at the sidewall of the nail plate, you can slip a tiny bit of cotton between the sidewall and the skin to 'lift' the nail plate away from the inflamed skin. Wrap a tiny piece of cotton onto the end of a wet wooden toothpick. Remember which way you wrapped the cotton because after you lay the toothpick even with the length of the sidewall, and roll it under the nail plate, you will have to 'unwind' the cotton from the toothpick and pull the toothpick out, leaving the cotton behind. You can then apply a drop of alcohol to sanitize the area and then apply your antibacterial ointment, forcing it into the area with the same toothpick. Sounds complicated, but it's not.

If it is truly a fungal infection causing the nail to separate from the nail bed, you should treat it with only ONE 'medicine'. Some treatments work against each other, so your use of 3 treatments could be causing complications.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:54 AM   #5
(male)

Technomage HB User

well last night i cut away all of the infected area, no really painful, and underneat it, was nice pink uninfected skin. After I cut away everything I put a lil H2o2 to clean the area out, then I put the cotton ball thing under the nail plate on both sides of the nail and wiped the nail and the sides down with alcohol, burn a lil bit but i didn't mind, now this moring i look at it and everything looks good, its all healed up, oh i for got to mention, i put some neosporin on the area. The cotton ball thing is awesome. Oh yea i forgot since i started the tea tree, oreagon, dmso. the bad nail has disconnected from the nail bed, and the nail at the root is white and pink. is this a sign of healing?

Old 04-09-2007, 05:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

The color at the base of the nail is where the new nail is growing in and it will push the lifted portion forward as it grows.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:42 PM   #7
(male)

Technomage HB User

should i replace the cotton ball everyday after i take a shower since i don't want the area to retain extra moisture. Also how can i tell the new nail growing out right now will not be infected?

Old 04-10-2007, 05:15 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, change the cotton daily and always after getting your feet wet.

There is always a chance that the new nail can become infected IF you do not properly treat the existing infection.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:44 PM   #9
(male)

Technomage HB User

More news! well here are some pictures, can you tell me what is going on here, today i decided to trim of the nail and to my surprise everything underneth it is white, and flaky is how i'd describe, what is it? Also can i apply the tea tree oil to this?

put this word without spaces between the letters 'i m a g e s h a c k' in the place of the '**********' to view picture
before:
[url]http://img240.**********.us/img240/9411/beforecx5.jpg[/url]
After:
[url]http://img240.**********.us/img240/9835/afterge7.jpg[/url]

Last edited by Technomage; 04-11-2007 at 09:52 PM.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:20 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

We are not supposed to post pictures; however, I did get to view this before the moderators remove the link. It is nail fungus! It also looks like you may have an ingrown nail on the outside edge which is why it is infected. The 'white flaky stuff' is just a few remaining nail plate cells that are still bonded to the nail bed. Do not try to remove them. You will have to treat one problem at a time. First, go to the doctor and have the ingrown portion of nail removed to stop it from digging into the flesh. Once the infection has totally cleared, you can then treat the nail fungus. You can take Lamasil if your tests come back negative for current liver problems. You can also use one of the over-the-counter treatments for nail fungus if you prefer. Treating nail fungus is a long-term committment. It can take upwards of a full year to totally kill all of the fungal spores. They live deep withiin the nail plate as well as the soft tissues of the underlying nail bed. The waste of the infection is what turns the nail plate yellow. They eat the proteins in the nail palte as 'food' which is why it may crumble as well as why it thickens. The ridging you can see going from the free edge toward the back are the rails and grooves upon which the nail plate rides forward. The fungal spores follow these 'tracks' as they progress back toward the cuticle.

Closed Thread