It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2007, 07:02 PM   #1
(male)

fleshonsteel HB User
New Nail Growing Back In

Four months ago my thumb was slammed in a car door. The nail became black instantly, eventually became loose and broke off from the nail bed, and subsequently pulled off by yours truly.

My new nail is about halfway grown back in, probably less, however, there is a slight problem...or at least I think. My new nail is pushing a portion of what seems to be a hardened nail bed. The hardened part is raised above my fingernail so my new nail obviously can't grow over it.

The top of my thumb is tender and red, and I think the nail may push this hardened piece of skin or w/e it is through the top of my finger. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Should I see a doctor about maybe having this hard piece removed or is it normal?

Last edited by fleshonsteel; 04-13-2007 at 07:03 PM.

Old 04-14-2007, 03:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: New Nail Growing Back In

The hardened skin is just the dried out nail bed. It will protect the delicate underlying tissues until the new nail pushes it forward and off the free edge. Do not attempt to remove this skin as to do so would only allow the possibility of an infection. If the hardened skin is bothersome, you can always apply a good quality nail and cuticle oil such as Botanical Oil. This oil is available in the nail department of Sally Beauty Supply. Apply at least twice daily and massage into the skin and the new emerging nail plate. It will help to condition and rehydrate the skin and keep the new nail healthy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread