It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2007, 05:07 PM   #1
(male)

cheesegrits HB User
Question Toenail ripped off, concerns on new nail growth

So I tore back my big toenail 9 months ago. There was some minor infection, and eventually the nail plate fell off, leaving the base of the nail intact. The nail is now about 75% regrown, and the last 7mm or so of the nail is sharply curved downward into the toe. Is this the proper way it grows back?

I am concerned that the nail may not regrow to the end of the toe as it should. The front portion of my toe has become regular healthy looking skin where there once was toenail. Will the new growth of the toenail recover all of its old territory?

I have considered that it might be beneficial or necessary to do some "work" to the newly grown nail, possibly filing the end to cut short the curvature. I have refrained from doing that, fearing that damage to the forefront of the growth could further hamper the regrowth process.

Any helpful advice would be sincerely appreciated.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Toenail ripped off, concerns on new nail growth

If the downward curvature is not adhered to the skin and is actually a 'free edge', then by all means, file it short to keep it from digging into the flesh. the curvature is just the last of the damage done when the nail plate was ripped off. Is the skin just forward of the existing free edge fairly rough? If you can feel a slight roughness to the skin, then it is still considered nail bed and the new nail will push this forward as it grows.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2007, 09:12 AM   #3
(male)

cheesegrits HB User

The end of the curvature is not free, it is adhered to the skin.

The skin forward of the free edge looks like normal skin, not rough at all. The skin actually has swirled ridges on it, like a fingerprint. Do you think that the nail will cover that as it grows?

Old 04-19-2007, 05:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Those ridges are the rails upon which th enail palte rides forward. As long as they are there, the new nail plate should cover them as it is pushed forward from the cuticle.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:59 AM   #5
(male)

kepyas HB User

About a month ago, my big left toenail got ripped off the nailbed after my foot was caught on something while wearing sandals. It was ripped about 75% from the edge towards the cuticle.

After a month and a half has passed, the black color of the toenail has started to become white and I noticed that the nail plate appears to be unstable and looks like it's going to fall off soon.

However, I noticed that pus seemed to be leaking for the cuticle edge everytime after I take a bath. Does this mean that the nail has separated from the cuticle? Do you think the cuticle was damaged from the ripping trauma? I'm worried that my nail will never grow back.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:20 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Unless the nail root was surgically removed, the nail plate will grow back. If you have pus oozing from the cuticle, you have an infection. You should go see your podiatrist to have the lifted portion of nail plate cut away and get a prescription for the infection. If you leave it alone, it will only get worse.

Last edited by Marti; 05-01-2007 at 05:20 AM.

Closed Thread