It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2007, 05:48 AM   #1
(female)

RoseBud333 HB User
Unhappy Ruined nail bed from fungus.

Ive been trying to treat my fungus infected nails for a while now.
I had to stop using the vinegar as I was sensitive to it and have gone back to using the vicks.
I havent skipped a treatment of what I am using for months now but I am not seeing any improvement. I hate hate hate having these horrible nails.

Anyway I think that my nail bed has been permanantly damaged over the years by trying to cut away the fungus and they are like a nail biters nails in the way that the skin is growing over the nail bed(??)
Does this mean that there is no hope for me ever getting rid of my yucky nails?
Or is there a chance a new nail could grow but it would be short and unable to grow?

Im so depressed now I think I have damaged my nails permanantly........is there any hope?

Also the half moons at the base of my nail seem very large, what does this mean?

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:17 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User
Re: Ruined nail bed from fungus.

Good news is that half moon on your finger are a good sign that means you have a good amount of B12 vitamins. If you haven't any moons on your finger nails that means you may have been short of vitamin B12 for a long time. Good vitamin B12 levels give you white moons on all your fingers, the moons on the thumbs' are the last to go but it's also a sign of an under active thyroids.

Overly large moons means overactive thyroid, genetics, self-induced trauma

When I use to bar-tend squeezing the lemons an limes over the drinks ate my skin away from under my nails. I could easily take a toothpick and insert it under my nails to almost the cuticle. Some home remedies I read while trying to fix mine were

Tea tree oil is active as natural antiseptic that helps fight the infection. Put some amount of tea tree oil on a cotton ball. Dab it on the affected toenails and nearby area 2 or 3 times a day.

• Mixture tea tree oil and lavender oil, dab on the infected toenails using cotton balls. Do it 3-4 times a day. Tea tree oil and lavender help fighting the fungus infection and prevent skin irritation and very effective in curing toenail fungus.

• Listerine mouthwash can be used as antiseptic to prevent a healthy toes nail, soak your toes nail in Listerine mouthwash.

The salon I would get my nails done at gave me a bottle of fungus stuff. You would squeeze drops under the nail and let them dry. She said that the bottles that have the brushes in them aren't good. All your doing is brushing the fungus on the brush and then inserting it back into the bottle to contaminate the rest of the solution.

Mine finially went away after I started using prongs to pick the fruit up with and put it in the drinks with out squeezing them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2007, 05:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

The white half moon at the base of the nai lis the leading edge of the Matrix where the nail plate cells are born. You can see the Lunula (half-moon) on your thumb nails, pointer finger, middle finger, less on the ring finger and usually none on the pinky. This is NORMAL! You rarely see much of the lunula on the toenails as it lies further back than on the fingernails. The size of the lunula is genetic and has nothing to do with the amount of vitamin B12 in your body. The longer the lunula, the thicker the nail palte and the longer the nail bed.

As the seal that binds the nail palte to the nail bed is 'eaten' away by the fungal spores, the nail plate will separate from the nail bed. The fungal spores eat the proteins in the nail palte for food and live deep within the underlying soft tissues of the nail bed as well as deep within the layers of the nail plate. This is why it is so hard to get rid of it!

You might try using a treatment designed to kill the fungal spores, such as Dr. G's Clear Nail, Reclaim AF and others. Treating nail fungus can take upwards of a full year or more depending on how far back toward the cuticle it has progressed. NEVER try to cut away the exposed skin as you are removing the ridged skin that is the nail bed. Once this skin turns int o smooth skin, the nail plate cannot grow over it and adhere to it.

The nail palte rides forward on the nail bed upon a series of rails and grooves, much like a train rides forward on its tracks. The rails are on teh surface of the nail bed and the grooves are on the underside of the nail plate. Cutting away the effected nail and leaving the underlying skin alone will allow the nail plate to grow forward from the cuticle and 'push' the exposed skin forward.

The ONLY way the nail plate wil stop growing is if you have the root (Matrix) surgically removed. Toenails grow much slower than fingernails, only growing about 1/16th of an inch in two months depending on yoru genetics. You are right to cut away the lifted nail plate - it is much easier to get the medication into the area of separation this way.

My husband has battled nail fungus ever since I met him and that was 16 years ago. He applies something to his nails about once every 4 or 5 months and expects it to work. Fungal spores can be found on just about everyting we see and touch and can easily attack the nail through any type of cut, tear or break to the seal surrounding the nail unit. Even if you get it cleared up, it can come back with a vengeance if you wear sandals and walk in grass or dirt and have a space where the spores can get in there.

A spore has tiny 'hooks' on it (for lack of a better term) and can actually bore their way deep into the skin and anchor themselves there. Treatment is a long-term committment.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:07 PM   #4
(female)

RoseBud333 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marti View Post
NEVER try to cut away the exposed skin as you are removing the ridged skin that is the nail bed. Once this skin turns int o smooth skin, the nail plate cannot grow over it and adhere to it.
Oh dear I am worried that this is what has happened to my nail beds as ive been agressive in the past when filing and cutting away the fungus, does this mean there is no hope for me?

Old 05-05-2007, 10:12 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

I lost my finger nails on my right hand from the air bag in a car accident. I saw the accident coming and put my hand on the dash board to brace myself. The air bag took my fingernails off completely. Only had skin. After my skin got a little tougher which was about a week and a half I went to my friend that owned a nail salon and had her out fake nails on me. She sanded down my skin and cut some of it away too super glue fake nails on then put on the acrylic. They would come off ever other week and we'd do the same thing again.
When my nails had the fungus on them we did the same thing. My nails are perfect. No damage to any of them. Nail beds are even with the other hand. Actually on my right tumb my nail bed grew a bit longer than the left which is fine with me cause it use to be shorter.

You will be fine, I cut and filed the bed of my nails away on the same finger more than once and they grrew back. It just takes a bit longer. Took me about 7 months to grow all my nails out

Last edited by FromSqueaky; 05-05-2007 at 10:15 AM.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

The only problem with applying artificial nail products to the skin in this manner is that it is the perfect way to make yourself allergic to nail products. I am suprised that your nail tech was not educated enough to know this, or that she didn't care enough about your health when she suggested applying it to your skin. This is the perfect way to become allergic to nail products.

Artificial nail products carry a warning saying NOT to apply them to the skin. They were only developed to be applied to an intact nail plate. Also, applying product over the skin of an infected nail bed will allow the infection to stay alive MUCH longer than if you leave it exposed where it is much easier to treat.

When you cover the nail plate, the medication cannot get into the area of separation and will take many months longer to heal.

Last edited by Marti; 05-05-2007 at 10:43 AM.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:07 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

She is educated and she warned me but I told her to do it. Of course I had to sign a wavier even though she was my best friend. She didn't want to take any chances of loosing her business that had her name on it. It was her salon that she bought at the age of 24. She was around 30 when I told her to glue the nails on.

Labels and warnings are put on things because it CAN happen or has happened to people. Does not mean it WILL happen. I take things and have good results where others would take or do the same as me but it would make them visit a doctor and in a couple of months it was back to normal. I have a scar on my finger prints now but the nail is fine.

It'll grow back. My dad has lost numerous nails over his life spam of under water diving to fix pipe lines and raise sunken boats among other deep water duties. They have all grown back and you should see the things he has put on them or done to them. I've had a riffle **** back on me and go through my finger and out the other side. Really messed up my nail bed. I waited a couple days for the swelling to go down and cut the nail and the skin out.

It grew back only for me to damage it again. If took the same about of time for it to grow out without a fake nail on as it did with the fake nail on. I never put any medicine on my finger that didn't have any nails. They were not beeding it stopped hurting. the nail bed was not sensitive so why bother.

The only nails that I put medicine on were the ones that had a fungus. I kept them on cause washing my hands the serving of each drink would had make the fake nail fall off to fast. I used some liquid drops that my nail tech gave me and brought salad prons to work to pick up the fruit.

EDIT: Beside the only thing that is touching the anil bed is the super
glue. That holds the fake nake on and the gel goes on top the fake nail. It never touched the nail bed. I've have super glue on my hands and legs before. The tube busted and it got everywhere. Never ate my skin on those spots.

Last edited by FromSqueaky; 05-05-2007 at 12:05 PM.

Old 05-06-2007, 06:27 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

All artificial nail products are made from acrylates and include traditional acrylic, gel acrylic, wrap resins and nail glue, including all types of instant glues. Repeated and prolonged skin exposure WILL cause allergic reaction and once we are allergic,we are allergic for life. Gluing a tip onto the skin is skin exposure. Glues are not moisture resistant and can leave tiny little 'spider' veins where it did not completely create an air-tight seal. Bacteria and fungal spores can easily enter into these tiny spaces, set up housekeeping and turn into a full blown infection. I AM a nail tech and have been for over 35 years. I am an educator and one of the top techs in the nation. I am only saying that you shouldn't advise someone to glue tips to their damaged nail/skin. Just because you didn't experience a reaction doesn't mean the next person won't. Products carry a warning for a reason and just because some people refuse to follow the warnings doesn't mean you should advise others to do the same. I have a whole page on my website devoted to allergic reaction from skin exposure, so enough said.

Last edited by Marti; 05-06-2007 at 06:30 PM.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:22 AM   #9
(female)

RoseBud333 HB User

Thank you both for your responces.

I am really worried now that my nails have been permanantly ruined by over filing and cutting at the nail beds trying to rid the fungus.

I dont seem to have any nail separation where i have filed down too aggressively?

I dont know what to do now, is there any hope for me?

Old 05-08-2007, 06:56 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Since the fungal spores live deep within the soft tissues of the nail bed AND teh nail plate, you won't get rid of them by trying to cut away your skin. You woul dhave to cut deep into the flesh and I don't think you could stand to remove that much skin - it would be too bloody

Keep them clean and dry, keep the nail plate short and apply your medication at least twice daily, or according to the instructions for the treatment you are using.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:19 PM   #11
(female)

tigerfly HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marti View Post
Since the fungal spores live deep within the soft tissues of the nail bed AND teh nail plate, you won't get rid of them by trying to cut away your skin. You woul dhave to cut deep into the flesh and I don't think you could stand to remove that much skin - it would be too bloody

Keep them clean and dry, keep the nail plate short and apply your medication at least twice daily, or according to the instructions for the treatment you are using.
Thanks for your response.

I also had the same question!! I filed the fungus down on my big toenail, and I'm so afraid that I may have ruined the nailbed from too much filing. It is very thin with some white vertical ridges (probably fungus?). Is it not possible to file off the nailbed? If so, that would be a huge relief because I thought I would only have half a toe for the rest of my life. Is it OK to put the vinegar/AF solution on the very thin skin where the nailbed is filed? Also, am I OK to do swimming/running/etc. with this - or will it damage what is left of the nailbed further? I don't think I filed it that much, but I feel so stupid for doing this. My toenail looks uglier than ever.

Also, I am applying treatment to my other toes, and I notice that they either have stopped growing or continue to grow in with the fungus. Is there anyway to prevent this? Or am I stuck with this for life; I have had this for a long time now.

Last, what does a damaged nailbed look like? How do you tell if you have damaged it. Or, as you were saying, would your nail have to be bleeding etc. and it is very difficult to damage. I hope that is the case, and that it can't be damaged from filing. Does hardened skin grow over it?

Thanks for all of your help; I appreciate it. At least your last response helped to calm me down, a little.

Last edited by tigerfly; 05-08-2007 at 07:20 PM.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:48 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

The nail plate rides forward on the nail bed upon a series of rails and grooves much like a train rides forward on its tracks. The rails are on the nail bed and teh grooves are on the underside of the nail plate. When the nail bed is exposed, the vertical ridges you are seeing are the rails that are normal to the nail bed. Even if you file these away on the exposed skin, they will still be underneath the remaining nail plate. As the nail plate grows forward, it will push the nail bed forward again. If you burn this skin with acid or surgically remove it, the nail plate will no longer bond to it - it cannot bond to permanently smooth skin like the skin on your arms, etc.

Believe me, I know it looks awful, but the best way to treat it is to leave the skin alone. Leaving it alone will allow the skin to absorb the medication since this skin is more porous than the skin on your arms, etc. Clorine in the swimming pool is basically a Quaternium compound in that it contains chlorine which is a form of clorox. You should still wash your feet with warm soapy water, dry them really well (use your blow dryer to be sure) adn then apply the medication. Be sure that the medication gets into any areas of separation.

Remember, the fungal spores eat the proteins in th enail plate for food and need any available moisture to survive. Your skin contains moisture, so keeping them as dry as possible helps. Running allows your feet to sweat, so be sure you wear good absorbant socks adn wash, dry and treat the nails immediately after running. Never wear the same pair of shoes two days in a row. The leather will hold moisture and the fungal spores can live inside the shoes because of this. Allow them to dry out really well before wearing them again. Don't go barefoot - wear thongs if you have to in the house and closed toe shoes when going outside in the dirt, grass, etc.

It is very hard to cause permanent damage to the skin unless you physically or surgically cut it away and like I said - that would be very painful and bloody.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:16 AM   #13
(male)

WasFatNoMore HB UserWasFatNoMore HB User

As I posted earlier I have been using Lamisil with great results. During the "grow out period" I cut my nails short to get rid of the disintegrated portion of the nail. But there was always that fungal debris (white gunk) attached to the nail bed. I tried pulling the debris off with teazers (bloody) and tried filing it off. Then I tried that Dr Scholls Nail Revitalizer kit. It is a nail brush and some cream that you brush across the gunky area. It cleans the debris off the nail bed skin and the edge of the nails without causing injury. Made the toes look a little better while growing out. Kinda reminds me of the Chrome Polish I used on my car bumpers to polish off the rust years ago. Didn't fix the problem but made it look good for a while!

My the way...the Dr Scholls kit didn't really improve the appearance of the nail itself...but not having the visible debris did let me see easier where the fresh pink nail was growing in.

Another thing I started the same time I started the Lamisil was to put Athletes Foot cream on my feet after every shower and before I put on clean socks (never wear socks twice! ). I have sweaty feet and am prone to athletes foot between my toes. I figure that if I can prophylacticly avoid athletes foot that will help prevent me from getting toe nail fungus again. I rub it real good around the nails as well as between the toes and the rest of the foot. After having this problem for 15 years I never want to see it again!!

PS: I alternate between the athletes foot cream that has the anti-fungal agent that begins with "T" and the one that begins with a "C" (Sorry I can not begin to spell the latin names). I do this so that the little buggars don't get used to one or the other. I use the generic stuff.

Has anyone else tried this?

Last edited by WasFatNoMore; 05-09-2007 at 08:22 AM. Reason: can't type worth beans

Old 05-09-2007, 02:52 PM   #14
(female)

tigerfly HB User

Thank you both for your replies. I feel much better already. I will just leave my toes alone and apply the treatment twice daily after washing/drying my feet.

Currently, I am putting on a combination of all the fungal treatments: vinegar, Reclear AF, Vicks, and sometimes tea tree oil. Usually I put on all three at the same time, in hopes that something will kill the little suckers. I also (sometimes) spray on and athlete's foot powder.

I know I didn't burn the nailbed and I haven't seen any blood, so I think I will just have to be patient for the nail to grow out. *sigh*, patience is not my strong point. Hopefully, since it is only about half my nail that is filed out, that it will only take about three months to grow back. Luckily my other toes are much smaller so the fungus and ugliness isn't as obvious... but it is still there!!!

I also am doing several triathlons and 5ks this summer, so I will be careful to wash/dry and change socks/shoes frequently. I have been good about that.

Well, I will let you know how my big toe grows out and if I ever get rid of the fungus on my little toes. To me, it seems like they are permanently infected no matter how much treatment I give them. Perhaps someday they will clear up.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:27 AM   #15
(female)

RoseBud333 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfly View Post
Thanks for your response.

I also had the same question!! I filed the fungus down on my big toenail, and I'm so afraid that I may have ruined the nailbed from too much filing. It is very thin with some white vertical ridges (probably fungus?)
This sounds just like my nails!!

I see the vertical ridges but they are white also.........so does this mean that the nail bed hasnt been damaged and there is a chance the nail plate will grow again if these riges (train tracks as you describe them??) exist?

Closed Thread