It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2007, 07:26 PM   #1
(female)

Skylar_ HB User
Half white/half pink nails

In January I started taking prenatal vitamins and I also started an elimination diet of wheat & dairy to address some potential food intolerances. Since then I've noticed some strange fingernail symptoms. Half of my nail looks paler than the other half. It's not a drastic white/dark pink contrast, but definitely noticable. It's on all the fingernails, but most prominant on the pinkies. Other than this the nails look fairly healthy.

I thought this was perhaps the addition of vitamins in the prenatal supplement, but wouldn't that have grown out after 5 months?? Internet searches link "half & half" nails to kidney problems, but I do not have any kidney disease symptoms. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Skylar

The following user gives a hug of support to Skylar_:
shingle (01-21-2011)
Old 05-19-2007, 09:32 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User
Re: Half white/half pink nails

Would you say that the white part is in a shape of a 1/2 moon y your cuticle?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2007, 07:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

It could very well be a change in the shape and length of the nail matrix (the white half-moon at teh cuticle area.) Usually when one is taking pre-natal vitamins, there is always a change in the nail plate. If you are concerned, ask your doctor.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:53 AM   #4
(female)

Skylar_ HB User

No, this is definitely not the half-moon. It's a ragged line a little more than halfway up the nail. I can't see it on all the nails, but on the pinkie it's very noticeable. Can also see it on the ring finger.

How quickly (average, I know everyone is different) does your nail grow? Should the nail have already replaced itself in 4.5 months?

Thanks, Skylar

Old 06-05-2008, 01:59 PM   #5
(female)

braves13 HB User

I know this has been a while, but then you ever find out what the problem was? I have the exact situation you explained....don't know what to do.
Any follow up news would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:37 PM   #6
(female)

lmb24 HB User

I've had periods of time where the white part of my nail goes deeper than the normal start point and this coincides with the half-and-half-like appearance of the nails. Doesn't happen on all nails at the same time. I have been having the big D for the last year and have gone to a GI doctor for multiple tests. I was positive for malabsorption and then had an upper endoscopy for celiac. The endoscopy was inconclusive: showed increased intraepithelial lymphocytes but the villi were OK. I also tested negative for the celiac gene. I have started wheat/gluten free diet anyway and it seems to be helping, but it's still not perfect. I am convinced the nail issue is related to the malabsorption. BTW - I went to a dermatologist and he blew it off.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:18 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

"Terry's Nails" are more white from the cuticle towards the free edge and very pink at the distal edge. Causes? From what I have read, it can be caused by Renal failure. Look up half and half nails as well. You should maybe see your internist for more testing.

Last edited by Marti; 06-30-2008 at 06:18 PM.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:54 PM   #8
(female)

braves13 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmb24 View Post
I've had periods of time where the white part of my nail goes deeper than the normal start point and this coincides with the half-and-half-like appearance of the nails. Doesn't happen on all nails at the same time. I have been having the big D for the last year and have gone to a GI doctor for multiple tests. I was positive for malabsorption and then had an upper endoscopy for celiac. The endoscopy was inconclusive: showed increased intraepithelial lymphocytes but the villi were OK. I also tested negative for the celiac gene. I have started wheat/gluten free diet anyway and it seems to be helping, but it's still not perfect. I am convinced the nail issue is related to the malabsorption. BTW - I went to a dermatologist and he blew it off.
I find this very interesting. I had the upper endoscope for celiac, the villa was fine, but they think I have the celiac gene. I was not having the nail problem then (15 months ago), but have had this nail problem for 8 months now. Dermatologist blew me off as well. Never thought it could be related to the celiac issue. I was food tested and found out I am allergic to the "celiac items" yeast, wheat, barley, rye, oats, etc. I have not been following the diet (very difficult to get motivated) Any tips you want to share on getting on track with the gluten free diet?

Old 07-02-2008, 06:03 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Don't go totally gluten-free overnight because you won't stick to the diet. You need to work your way into it. Every diet or nutrition change is hard, but you have to be diligent in your approach to changing your eating habits.

I started gaining "age-related' weight (I'm 59 now) about a year and a half ago. I joined Curves and worked out 4 times a week. This past January, I joined the Nutrition class and actually learned how to eat healthy. Since Sept of 2006, I have lost 19 pounds and over 20". I'm back in my size 4 from a size 10+. It wasn't easy, but I hated the way I looked and felt. I had no energy and just mowing the grass was a huge issue. It took a
LOT of determination, but it was worth it for my health. There's no easy way to approach a new diet, even just a gluten-free diet. Pick a day and start the diet - it's just that simple.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:46 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Have you been tested for any type of heart condition? "Red" nails are indicative of Heart conditions. (where the red is on the nail bed and not just towards the free edge.)

Old 07-05-2008, 09:12 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

People as young as 15 have died of heart failure/heart attack, so don't think that age has anything to do with it. It can run in families, it can skip generations, so no one is 'safe'. By all means have an 'active' stress test. This usually means on a treadmill while being hooked up to monitors. My husband had a stress test and nothing showed up - until another doctor hooked him up and put him on a treadmill. He didn't last a minute! They found 90% blockage in 2 veins - both could have killed him in a matter of weeks. He had to have a double by-pass 8 years ago. All he experienced was shortness of breath as well, but felt fine otherwise. He is a very physically active person, even today. As an experienced nail educator, I did not see any changes in his nail plate, his skin color, his hair, eye color or anything else. Heart disease can be a 'hidden' condition that may take a while to determine.

One thing you have to remember is that ANY change in the nail plate is cause for concern. Your nail plate will mirror your inner health.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:09 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

No warning signs for my husband at all! His blood pressure has always been low to medium - it was never high at all. His brother has the same exact thing, however; he had signs of heart problems which is what prompted my husband to be tested. The brother only had a single by-pass.

Getting back to your nails: Cold fingers are usually indicative or poor blood circulation which would actually make the nail plate appear bluish in color - not red. Pressing down on the nail plate will cause even a normal nail to make the nail bed appear white because it basically stops the flow of blood. Yes, it is the underlying tissues of the nail bed that make the nail plate appear pink as one an actually 'see' thorugh the nail plate to the nail bed. If the nail plate appears very pink, the blood vessels in your fingertips may be closer to the surface than normal. And yes, constant trauma to the nail plate can make the nail bed appear more pink.

Closed Thread