It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
(female)

Kaycee41 HB User
Need help for problem nails!!!!

I use to have pretty nice nails. They were never very strong, but if I kept polish on them, and took care of them, they would grow long and pretty. About 2 years ago I removed some wallpaper from my kitchen using wallpaper remover. Boy, did it do a number on my nails. I figured as soon as my nails grew out they would be okay. Ever since then, I have been having trouble with them peeling. The tips peel in layers. I posted my problem on this board and Marti suggested 1) use oil and 2) keep them out of water. I have been faithful about wearing gloves when I do dishes and cleaning (I still have to get them wet when washing my hair and bathing). I bought Solar Oil and used it between polishings. Here's the problem....if I don't keep polish on my nails they are so weak they break and split...but I think the constant use of polish may be the problem. I keep filing my nails back past the peeling, but they are as short as they can get and are still peeling. Here's some questions I have that I hope Marti or someone can answer....

Is there any base coat polish that is actually good for your nails? I have tried many...Nail Envy, Sally Hansen Growth etc. I have just started using Sally Hansen Complete Care (doesn't stay on my nails very well), so the jury is still out on this one.

Is Non-Acetone polish remover any better for your nails than regular polish remover. I know it's not good to use remover too often, but the polish comes off my nails so fast due to the peeling that I have to remove it and redue my nails every 3 days.

I always heard that you should file your nails when they are completely dry and file in one direction. But, if you need to cut the nail with clippers, is it better to do it when they are dry or damp?

Do your nails need to breath? I have been trying to take the polish off in the evening, massaging in oil, then leaving them "bare" overnight. I feel like I have to polish them the next morning because, in the past, if I went one day without polish it seemed like I broke them easily.

I have been taking a multi-vitamin plus a 1000 mcg Biotin tablet every day. I eat fairly healthy, so I don't think nutrition is the problem. I would love to have nice nails again, so any help will be appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2007, 06:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Need help for problem nails!!!!

Is there any base coat polish that is actually good for your nails? I have tried many...Nail Envy, Sally Hansen Growth etc. I have just started using Sally Hansen Complete Care (doesn't stay on my nails very well), so the jury is still out on this one.

A: No polish is good for the nails due to the amount of formaldehyde or formalin in the formula. Formaldehyde will tend to dry out the nails after a while, and this will lead to peeling. formaldehyde free polish does not adhere very well, but it is better for your nails.

Is Non-Acetone polish remover any better for your nails than regular polish remover. I know it's not good to use remover too often, but the polish comes off my nails so fast due to the peeling that I have to remove it and redue my nails every 3 days.

A: I never recommend non-acetone polish remover as it takes longer to remove the polish, which means the chemicals are on the nails for longer periods and the nail will absorb more of the chemical than with regular polish remover. Also, whatever amounts of the chemical your nails absorb from the regular polish remover evaporate much quicker than from non-acetone removers.

I always heard that you should file your nails when they are completely dry and file in one direction. But, if you need to cut the nail with clippers, is it better to do it when they are dry or damp?

A: Never cut your nails with clippers. this compresses the nail plate layers and will lead to even more peeling. File the nails from the corners to the center, then file the center.

Do your nails need to breath? I have been trying to take the polish off in the evening, massaging in oil, then leaving them "bare" overnight. I feel like I have to polish them the next morning because, in the past, if I went one day without polish it seemed like I broke them easily.

A: Nails do not have lungs, therefore; they do not need to 'breathe'. They do; however, need for the natural oils and moisture in the nail plate to have an avenue of 'escape' so they can evaporate on the surface. It is this oil and moisture that creates the natural shine on the nail plate. There is also no need to remove the polish every night as this is only adding to your existing problem.

Go to Sally Beauty supply and get yourself a three-way buffer. After you file the nails, use the black side of the buffer to remove the peeling layers, the white side to refine the surface and the grey side to buff to a high shine. this will help to seal the layers and prevent too much of the natural oil from escaping from the nail plate. Apply your oil as usual.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:17 AM   #3
(female)

Kaycee41 HB User
Re: Need help for problem nails!!!!

Thanks Marti! I do use a three way buffer, but I just keep removing more nail and the peeling continues. I think I need a break from polish since I have been wearing it continuously for years. Thanks for the info on non-ac. polish remover. I thought I was doing my nails a favor by switching. You always see different removers that state "strengthing" or "contains Vit E"....does that really make any difference? I always wash my hands right after I use the remover. Thanks for all your good advice on this board...we all appreciate the time you take answering all our questions!

Closed Thread