It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2007, 10:14 AM   #1
(female)

cantell HB User
broken finger nail trick

my fingernails have finally started growing and all are just about the same length..yesterday I was doing laundry and went to pick up the lid on the washer and for some reason the lid slamed and I had my thumb in the way..My thumb was spared but my thumb nail broke. Not off it sort of tore it from the side inward a few hair's. The problem was the break or crack was broke just enough to try to repair it because the break was down below my nail line. (dont know what thats called) just knew it would hurt if I tried to take it off.

ok heres the trick..I got a tea bag and cut off a small piece placed it on the break and applied a base coat of nail polish. It is working really good and you cant tell its a repair. the nail doest feel loose where the break is and doesnt hang on everything.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2007, 06:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: broken finger nail trick

This is a very 'old' way to repair a small nail break or tear. It actually began in the 1920's and is called a 'Julianne' manicure. Nail technicians began using tea bag paper or perm end papers with instant nail glue to do a more permanent repair, and the end result of this was the invention of fiberglass or silk wraps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2007, 06:36 AM   #3
(female)

cantell HB User

Thanks marti, I had read this somewhere dont remember where but I managed to remember it and put it to test. ha! your futher information on the subject was very interesting thanks for posting it. I will take off the repair and get the superglue out (would that work)? and redo the teabag thingy just to be on the safe side that it doesnt tear more and cause bleeding / pain at the quick. I just remembered what that part of the finger nail is called..LOL

Thanks again you are a sweetheart!

Old 07-12-2007, 06:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

You will need to go to a Sally Beauty Supply and get some Brush on glue or resin. Get a 240 grit buffer and a 3-way buffer along with a can of Hurry Up nail glue dryer. After you remove the tea bag/polish, use the 240 grit buffer to lightly remove just the surface shine from the nail. Try to be sure to buff only in the direction of the nail growth. Wash and dry your hands and nail really well - use your blow dryer if need be. Cleanse the nail plate with a lint free wipe that you have lightly wet with alcohol. This will work to temporarily dehydrate the nail plate. Apply the brush onglue just like you would nail polish, then set the tea bag paper into it immediately and then spray with the Hurry Up nail glue dryer. Be sure to hold the can 12" from the nail to avoid a heat spike. Trim the paper and file the sides and free edge to be sure they are smooth and even with the nail plate. Remove all nail dust - you can blow it off with your blow dryer. Apply a second coat of the brush on glue and dry with the spray. Bufff the surface lightly to be sure it is smooth, then buff to a high-shine with the 3-way buffer. First the black side, then the white side, then the gray side.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:51 AM   #5
(female)

DeeDee123 HB User

What do you do if the crack wont' go away? Both my thumb nails break on each side about half way down. I do everything I can to keep them from breaking off including trying to put false nails on to see if my nail will grown out but when I take the false nail off I have another break in the same place. Nothing seems to help. Can anyone tell me what I need to do. Thanks

Old 09-18-2007, 06:02 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

How long have you had this split on your nails?

Old 09-18-2007, 11:00 AM   #7
(female)

DeeDee123 HB User

For over a year now. I just keep trying to file it and I put bandaids on it to keep it form getting snagged on things and ripping off. but after awhile it gets sore and I have to cut it donw really close... both thumbs... any suggestions... not sure what TO DO

Old 09-18-2007, 11:41 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

What is probably happening is one of the railsupon which the nail plate rides forward is pushing up into and separating the nail plate. When it does this, there is very little you can do as it generally turns into a permanent problem. Since it has been a year since this first began, I am figuring it is permanent. About the only thing you can do is to keep it short, or keep a silk or fiberglass overlay on it. Not that this will heal it, but it is easier on your nails than acrylic because it is much easier to soak off if you have to replace the overlay. Since I am only home for lunch, I can post the instructions for you tonight so yoou can do this yourself.

Old 09-19-2007, 05:24 AM   #9
(female)

DeeDee123 HB User

Thank you, so much for the information and help, If you could send me those instructions it would be greatly appreciated, just at wit's end as to what to do, if I dont' watch it would be very easy to rip the nail off....

Old 09-19-2007, 06:08 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

You can actually 'wrap' it without using silk or fiberglass. Go to Sally Beauty Supply and get a:

Mambo Flash finisher - it is a beige two-sided buffer
Chamois shine buffer - it is a two-sided buffer
Bottle of IBD brush-on Gel Resin
Can of "Hurry Up' nail glue dryer
Bottle of 'Nail Prep' - any brand will work

Wash your hands and nails and use the smoother side of the Flasj Finisher to gently remove just the natural nail shine. Wash your hands to remove all traces of nail dust and dry thoroughly. Apply the prep to just the nail plat esurface and allow it to dry. Apply the Gel Resin just like you would nail polish - a thin even coat. Spray with the Hurry Up to dry the resin; holding the can 12" from the nail. Apply a second coat and spray. Use the Flash finisher to smooth the surface and the free edge. Use the grey side of the Chamois buffer to refine further and then the chamois side to semi-shine. Wash your hands and then apply a base coat of polish if you want.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:11 PM   #11
(female)

DeeDee123 HB User

thank you I will go this weekend and get the stuff you suggested.. right now my one nail is so sore once it breaks so far in it hurts really bad.. try to leave it alone, but really hard. it snags on everything... thank you for your help

Closed Thread