It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2007, 05:48 PM   #1
(male)

somebodycool HB User
Dropped weight on toenail...

so i was about to start lifting and i dropped a 45lb plate on my big toe, very painful. my whole nail, including the root was sticking up through my skin. went to the hospital to have it taken care off, they removed the nail, i'm not sure if the whole root was removed, i think it was. will my nail grow back? the doctor said it probably will, but i'm still stressing out. if it doesn't grow back, how will it look? thanks for any help

Old 07-16-2007, 05:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Dropped weight on toenail...

Since the root of the nail goes back almost as far as the first knuckle, I seriously doubt if the entire root was removed. As long as there is some root left, the nail will grow, but it may grow in slightly damaged, and this damage may be permanent. Toe nails grow MUCH slower than fingernails, so it can take almost a year for the nail to completely replace itself depending on your genetics.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2007, 08:57 AM   #3
(male)

somebodycool HB User

thanks for the info, i really hope it grows back...

Old 07-23-2007, 08:57 PM   #4
(female)

Chipsgirl HB User

I dropped a very heavy drawer on my left big toe and eventually the entire nail came off. This was in November if 06 and it is July of 07 and the nail hasn't completely grown back. It will take up to a year for it to grow back and there may be damage or fungus when it does grow back.

Closed Thread