It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2007, 04:59 PM   #1
(female)

ramyac HB User
Ripped off my toe nail(big toe)!

I accidentally ripped off the toe nail on my right big toe. At the bottom, one side is completely ripped off and the other side is still attached/in the skin. I cut away the part from the left bottom which was jutting out and cutting in to the skin underneath it. But the other side hasn't ripped off completely. I wash it and use neosporin after which i bandage it. How long will it take for the nail to completely fall off and how long after that before a new nail starts to grow? The pain is continous and it hurts majorly when i walk. Can i wear shoes anytime soon? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Ramya. C

Old 08-06-2007, 07:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Ripped off my toe nail(big toe)!

I wouldn't wear shoes until all the pain has completely gone away. You can cause further damage to the nail bed by doing so. Don't try doing anything with it until you aren't in pain any more. Leave the side that is still attached alone - let it separate on its own; if it does. The nail is still growing since the nail matris constantly produces nail plate cells. You won't see this happening since toe nails grow VERY slow! It can take 6 months or more for the nail to completely replace itself depending on your genetics.

Keep applying the antibacterial ointment, but do not bandage it with bandaids. Use plain gauze and tie it onto the toe with the ends of the gauze. The gauze will allow the moisture in the skin to evaporate and bandaids will not do that. For extra protection, you might want to bandage it to the next toe - it will give it a bit more support when you walk.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2007, 11:04 PM   #3
(female)

ramyac HB User
Re: Ripped off my toe nail(big toe)!

I will stop using the band aids. Thanks so much for all your help!

Regards,

Ramya. C

Closed Thread