It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007, 05:19 PM   #1
(male)

wiglaf HB User
Toenail separated from nail bed

I stubbed my toe pretty bad last night, and before long I realized all of the pain was due to the entire big toenail separating from the nail bed. It's still completely attached to the cuticle, and right now I have it bandaged down to the nail bed. Currently there is no inflammation and no pain unless I apply a lot of pressure. I've only tried cleaning it with soap and rubbing alcohol, neither of which caused any real pain. It doesn't seem to be bleeding or oozing any more.

What should I do? Will the nail bed reattach itself if I leave it bandaged down? Should I get it removed to avoid infection? Should I see a doctor asap?

Old 08-08-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Toenail separated from nail bed

Only keep it bandaged until the pain has gone away, then see your podiatrist or Doctor ot have the lifted portion cut away. No, it will not reattach itself. A new nail palte will have to grow in from the Matrix, which can take upwards of 6 months depending on your genetics. Keep it clean and dry to prevent infection.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2007, 04:00 AM   #3
(male)

wiglaf HB User

Thanks for the reply. I have another inquiry. My big toenails are very large and brittle, and I have had bad ingrowing problems with them in the past. I am almost certain I will have problems regrowing nicely from such a short length. Have you ever heard anything about acrylic veneers for missing nails? I read that it's possible to let the real nail grow under such a veneer so that it comes in right. Should this be something I talk to a nail technician about?

Also, how could I treat or take care of the nail so that it doesn't come in so brittle and thick? My big toes are probably the worst part of my genetics, so anything I can do to make it better would help out a lot. Thanks again.

Last edited by moderator2; 08-09-2007 at 06:21 AM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 08-09-2007, 05:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Applying an acrylic nail to the exposed skin of the nail bed is the perfect way to give yourself an allergic reaction. Acrylic products should never be applied to skin as they are considered sensitizing agents. Also, they do not adhere well to skin considering that the skin contains large amounts of oils and moisture which are separating mediums. When one adheres acrylic products to the skin, or 'glue' a "fake" nail to the skin, an air-tight seal cannot be created, leaving spider-web areas that can allow fungal spores and bacteria to enter through these areas, set up housekeeping and turn into a full-blown infection. Let the poor thing heal and grow out on its own where you can keep an eye on it and keep it clean and dry.

If your toenails are dry and brittle, there is a reason - even if it is genetic. You can go to your local Sally Beauty supply and purchase a 240 grit buffer to lightly buff the surface to smooth it. Purchase a three way buffer as well and buff first with the black side, then the white side, then the grey side. After you have them smooth, you should apply a small amount of Botanical Oil to the surface and massage it into the nails and the surrounding skin. You can also get this at Sally's. It will also help the exposed skin of the nail bed on the damaged toe by conditioning and moisturizing the skin. Apply at least twice daily.

Closed Thread