It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007, 07:45 AM   #1
(female)

tracy80 HB User
Horizontal white lines in fingernails

I have one single horizontal white line across each fingernail. I asked my gynecologist about it last time I went, and he said not to worry. He said my nails were a healthy color and I shouldn't be concerned. They have been there for approximately 3 months. Does anyone know the cause, or if I should be concerned?

Old 08-17-2007, 05:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Horizontal white lines in fingernails

Are they growing forward with the nail plate?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2007, 01:56 PM   #3
(female)

tracy80 HB User

No, they haven't moved at all. I've looked on the internet, and can't seem to find anything except Muercke's (sp?) lines, but they don't look like that. It's one single thin white line on each nail that doesn't move with growth.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

It could be the start of Terry's Nails - this is where the nail plate appears very white from cuticle to free edge.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:24 AM   #5
(female)

tracy80 HB User

What causes Terry's nails? Everything I've read concerning white lines on the nails says it could be from a vitamin deficiency to a kidney disorder. However, I would think if I had a kidney disorder, I would feel bad, or would have some other indication, I'm not sure. These lines are near the top of the nail plate, not the cuticle.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:41 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

They are close to the free edge? Usually, the nail plate cells in this area are the oldest and hardest and tend to be white as they grow off the free edge. YOu should see a slight grey or whitish color on the nail plate just before it becomes free edge. This is called the 'solehorn' cuticle and is where the last portion of nail plate becomes detatched from the nail bed and forms the free edge. As long as the nail bed is a healthy pink color, you should be okay.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:17 AM   #7
(female)

tracy80 HB User
Smile Re: Horizontal white lines in fingernails

They are still a healthy pink. I thought it was odd that they appeared toward the free edge, but hopefully they will eventually go away. Thanks so much for your help

Closed Thread