It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2007, 04:12 PM   #1
(female)

Frogi60 HB User
Mold on nail???????

Hi, I have worn acrylic nails for years, Recently, I keep getting green mold under my thumb nails only. The rest are fine. I have had to cut it away and if I don't put stick nails on, they look horrible. Does anyone know how to stop this? I need help quick.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:02 PM   #2
(female)

myboysmom HB User
Re: Mold on nail???????

This happened to me years ago when I had acrylic nails on for a while. ALCOHOL straight on the nail cleared mine in about 3 weeks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2007, 05:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Mold IS NOT a human pathogen, mold grows on cheese, old bread, dead tree stumps, etc. Pseudomonas bacterial infection is characterized by a yellow to green to brown to black discoloration that either penetrates the nail plate due to product lifting, or if there was a cut, tear or break to the seal that binds the nail plate to the nail bed. The stain is composed mainly of iron compounds. The ONLY way to get rid of this is to remove the overlay and leave it off. Use straight alcohol to keep the nail plate dried out - the bacteria needs the moisture from the natural nail to grow and keeping the nail palte dried out with alcohol will help to kill all the bacteria. Yes, it can take about 2-3 weeks of constant application - especially after having your hands in water. Even then, the stain will remain and will have to grow out with the nail plate.

This is nothing to fool around with! The bacteria can enter your blood stream from the nail bed and cause other problems with your internal health. Pseudomonas is responsible for pneumonia and other internal illnesses. Take off the nails and wait until the infection has been killed and the stain grows off the nail plate. If you are applying the nails yourself, chances are that you are not properly cleansing and preparing the nail plate prior to the application. If the nail palte is not properly prepared, you can actually seal the bacteria between the nail and the overlay and be causing the infection to occur. This bacteria lives on our skin and is not normally a problem until there is a cut, tear or break to the skin or it becomes trapped between the nail plate and the nail bed. It is nothing to fool around with!!!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to Marti:
euclid123 (10-23-2011)
Old 08-20-2007, 06:45 AM   #4
(female)

Texanne HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogi60 View Post
Hi, I have worn acrylic nails for years, Recently, I keep getting green mold under my thumb nails only. The rest are fine. I have had to cut it away and if I don't put stick nails on, they look horrible. Does anyone know how to stop this? I need help quick.
I have the EXACT same problem. I did not apply my nails myself either, and I removed them because of the green substance. It has occurred several times over the years, and at different nail salons. What really makes me angry is that the nail techs act as though it were something I did to cause it. Complicating the situation, I have psoriasis, which manifests itself under my thumbnails by creating a bubble. This was diagnosed by a dermatologist when I asked if I had a nail fungus. The nail techs insist that it is fungus, and if I would just buy whatever OTC anti-fungal they are hawking at the moment, it will clear it up. It makes me mad and so I remove my sculpts and go au naturale But then it takes six months for the demarcation to grow out where they have buffed. Eergh.

Last edited by Texanne; 08-20-2007 at 06:47 AM.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Since you have nail psoriasis, it might be easier for you to do a simple gel resin application to your nails yourself. Go to Sally Beauty Supply and get the following products:

5 Second Gel Resin
Hurry Up nail glue dryer (in a can)
A 240 grit buffer shaped like a nail file
A 180/240 grit nail file
A 3-way buffer
A bottle of Nail Prep
A bottle of Nail Fresh (by CNDS)

Wash your hands and nails with warm soapy water and a soft toothbrush. Remove just the natural nail shine with the 240 grit buffer being sure you remove the shine all around the cuticle and sides of the nail. Wash again as before, rinse and dry really well. Apply the Nail prepwith the included brush and let it dry - this will only take seconds. Apply a coat of the gel resin (also includes a brush) much like you would nail polish, being sure you do not leave so muchon the brush that it will flood onto the skin - apply to only the fingers, not the thumb. Spray with the dryer, holding the can 12" away. Apply to the thumb and cure with the spray. Do an application to the other hand in the same manner. If you need another coat, follow the same instructions.

After you have finished the application, buff with the 240 grit buffer to smooth the surface and use the file to clean up the free edge and the sides. Lightly file the area close to the cuticle to eliminate any ridge that may be there. DO NOT tip the brush at an angel as this is what causes the depression at the cuticle area.

Next, buff with the 3-way buffer. Use the black side, then the white side, then the grey side to buff to a high shine. You can safely and easily soak these off your self by soaking in pure acetone for about 10 minutes, or until the product can be safely sloughed off with no mechanical forcing.

The following user gives a hug of support to Marti:
euclid123 (10-23-2011)
Old 08-20-2007, 11:35 AM   #6
(female)

Texanne HB User

Thank you so much, Marti.

Closed Thread