It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2007, 05:07 PM   #1
(female)

cristip01 HB User
Red face big toenail with water under it...

I have battled a fungus under my big toenail for many years. The podietrist says the fungus has infected the nail growth cells under the cuticle and the only possible way to clear it up is the Lamisil pills. But I have elevated liver functions, so I can't take the pills. I have tried all the over the counter products and nothing works. I read about tea tree oil and started using it liberally. After two months of regularly soaking it in vinegar/water then the TT application, the skin around the nail is soft, mildly irratated and loose, the cuticle has slipped behind the thickened nail giving me the impression the nail was broken at the root and would soon fall off. But not so...The nail remains thick, attached, and now after a shower or swim water seems to be able to penetrate under the nail and grossly squishes out when pressed. It is even nastier than when it just had the fungus. Can the TT oil penetrate the nail growth cell? Is the area right at the cuticle line that seemed broken (nice and flat-not thick) new growth that is fungus free? Has anyone ever had this happen? What's with the water? Please help. I don't know if I should continue using the TT oil or stop, especially if I am making any headway with the battle of the fungus.
cristip01

Last edited by cristip01; 08-22-2007 at 05:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2007, 06:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: big toenail with water under it...

Tea tree oil is VERY drying to the skin and can be an irritant after a while. Since water is getting under the nail, it is apparent that it has separated from the nail bed, which is characteristic of nail fungus. Go back to your podiatrist and have him cut away the lifted portion of the nail plate - in other words, have him remove the nail plate, but NOT the nail root. Then, you can apply an OTC product for fungus such as Dr. G's, Reclaim AF or some of the other OTC fungal products. You will have to be diligent in your application, usually applying twice daily. It can take upwards of a full year to completely kill all the fungal spores even though you may see improvement in 3-4 months.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread