It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2007, 09:19 AM   #1
(female)

jogger2007 HB User
Dark bands on three of my toenails

Hello, let's see if somebody might know the answer to this mystery. A few months ago, I noticed a dark stain appear on the outer edge of the nail that's next to the pinky. It runs from bottom to top of the nail and when I look at the edge of the nail, the discoloration seems to be embedded IN the nail, in other words, it doesn't stop where the nail is joined with the skin, but continues all the way to the tip of the nail. I thought at first that I hadn't taken off the nail polish properly and that dirt had accumulated, but after cleaning it thoroughly, saw that wasn't the case. Then I thought that it could be that I had worn shoes a litthe too tight, but the problem continues and the nail at the bottom is growin darker than the rest of the nail even though I haven't worn those shoes anymore. Now, I see the same problem in exactly the same place on the other toe (at the outer edge of the nail) but this isde is actually darker. Also the pinky of this foot seems to have the dark line running from bottom to top. I run 5 times a week, and my husnabd thinks it's trauma to the nail (judging by the location of all the stains) , but I'm worried it might be fungus. What do you think? Thank you very much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2007, 05:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Dark bands on three of my toenails

Fungus is characterized by a yellow discoloration of the nail plate, nail plate thickening, nail plate separation from the nail bed and apparent debris in the area of separation. Doesn't sound like fungus to me - at least not yet. There are a couple other things it could be, and that is a hematoma to the nail matrix or possibly a melanoma in the nail matrix. I would certainly have your podiatrist, dermatologist or physician look at it. Any change in the nail plate is cause for concern!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2007, 11:35 AM   #3
(female)

jogger2007 HB User
Re: Dark bands on three of my toenails

Thank you. I will go to the podiatrist since there are other issues with my heels that have been bothering me since I started jogging. I think it might be a hematoma, given the symetry of the bands, but I'll let the podiatrist be the judge of that. Thanks a bunch!

Closed Thread