It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2007, 07:53 PM   #1
(female)

catara52 HB User
Question Fingernail cracked halfway down nail bed horizonally

A big spider was on the floor and I grabbed the newpaper and with tremendous force, smashed it. Unfortunately my pointer finger was bent down and I bent my fingernail. It bled a little, right in the middle of the red line it left. I put ice on it. It barely hurts, but I do see the red line. Is there anything I can do? What should I expect in the upcoming days or weeks? It is on my left hand and I am very left handed.
About an hour later it started throbbibg and hasn't let up yet. When will the pain lessen?

Last edited by catara52; 08-30-2007 at 05:07 AM. Reason: pain increase

Old 08-31-2007, 04:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Fingernail cracked halfway down nail bed horizonally

Soak it in really cold water for the first five days to help take the swelling down. If the nail plate is broken, keep the nail trimmed short until the crack grows off the free edge. Also, keep it clean and dry.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2007, 08:46 PM   #3
(female)

catara52 HB User

thank you so very much for getting back to me. I had been doing just that for the past 2 days. I had neglected to state that I had acrylic nails at the time of the injury and it bled through that. Anyway I must have read everything to do with a nail injury and acrylic nails. I also went to your site to make sure I was armed with the proper info and materials to remove the acrylic. I did everything you said ( including going to Sally's for tree oil, but because I had 2 refills, I have this one layer that just won't buge. I spent the last several hours trying to remove it. Any suggestions? Should I just admit defeat and go to the nail salon. I know they are going to try to talk me into getting another set of acrylics. Should I, or do the nails need a rest? They are now short, pinkish with this smaller layer of acrylic that will not go away on 7 of the 10 nails. Thanks !

Old 09-01-2007, 05:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Okay, here's my horror story: On Tuesday, I smashed my left pinky nail in the door of the car where the glass meets the rubber seal. It cut my nail completely in two. The cut goes down through the nail bed and into the flesh to either side of the nail and ripped up the nail plate from the nail bed almost all the way to the free edge. It also shattered the very tip of the fingertip bone. I nearly passed out! I work with nothing but men, so I was suprised when they came to my 'rescue', flushed it with peroxide and my boss made an excellent bandage with a tongue depressor, antibacterial ointment and gauze. I called my doctor at home and he said to soak it for a few days in cold water to help the swelling go down and keep it bandaged. As soon as enough of the pain went away, he wanted me to cut as much of the free edge away as possible to prevent further injury from downward tip pressure - I did that last night. I wear nail an acrylic overlay on my nails as well and he knows this. Just leave it alone until it is totally healed and then you can safely soak off the remainder of the acrylic. There are instructions for Product Removal on my website.

My nails grow really slow - it's genetic. I am figuring it will take at least 6-8 months for the damage to grow off and for a completely new nail to reform the damaged nail bed, so I am in for the long haul. No artificial nail on that one for me for a long time

Old 09-01-2007, 07:10 AM   #5
(female)

catara52 HB User

Oh my gosh! I am so sorry! MY concern is so trivial, really not that important.Take care of yourself, okay.? Post progress from time to time. Thanks for everything.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:59 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

My nurse friend (she works for my doctor) is coming over today to bring her little dog for us to watch for the weekend and she is bringing me a splint so I don'tkeep bumping it and making it bleed again. It can't heal if I keep bumping it It will be fine - it's just really sensitive to any kind of 'touch' and they want me to splint it for a week to protect it. You don't really realize how you use your hands until you cut halfway through your finger. It wouldn't be so bad, but it's where they can't stitch it together - they can't sew the nail bed together and he won't take off the nail where it pulled up. I don't think I could stand that anyway. Not that I'm a big 'sissy', but with 5 dogs and 2 cats of my own, there's lots to take care of

Old 09-01-2007, 01:03 PM   #7
(female)

catara52 HB User

Is it your dominant hand? I can't even imagine the pain everytime you bump it. My pain has almost completely disappeared, but my pinscer grasp is suffering some, but I am no longer complaining. Thanks for the reality check. I've had acrylic nails for about 3 years now and this is the first time I hadn't immediately had them put more on. My nails are so thin. I'll keep them short until they grow in thicker. I thought about you alot today. Thanks for letting me know your progress.Keep doing so if you want, I'm a good listener. I am so impressed by how much you help all these strangers with nail problems. Thanks!

Old 09-01-2007, 01:12 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Since I do nails, I have worn them since 1979. This is the first time I have injured or broken a finger nail, although I have broken both my pinky toes at least twice and the second toe on my left foot once I have a fairly high tolerance for pain, so that is good - genetics can be a wonderful thing. I'm a pretty tough old bird and that isn't saying a mouthful since I just turned 59 two weeks ago.

I love helping people and this board is right up my alley. I am thankful that they let me post here since I am a professional and they don't normally allow that from what I understand.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:19 PM   #9
(female)

catara52 HB User

Happy Birthday! I'll turn 55 this friday. I've ripped of my pinky toe nail several years ago and had a few tear nail tears which led me to the salon, and the rest is history.It's nice to meet yoy, Marty. If I lived closer I'd bring you some soup, my mom's cure for everything!

Old 09-07-2007, 09:46 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

The nail finally got to where it wasn't so painful, so I cut off the free edge. The only problem is that the portion of the nail that is left on the distal edge flexed a LOT and hurt everytime I touched anything to it. It finally quit bleeding though. Anyway, I kept trying to think of how I could keep it from moving so much and I came up with a great idea! I took a #10 tip (the smallest one) and cut a section 1/16th of an inch wide and attached it to the two separate portions with some acrylic and then reinforcedit with a little more acrylic. It is acting like a 'bridge' across the two sections and boy, does it feel better already. It looks kind of silly, but it feels so much stronger and it isn't moving all the time now. The curve of the tip section sticks up over the cut so I can still put peroxide on it to keep it clean and dry.

I am to attend a function for the charity I do the website for onthe 15th and my doctor is one of the founders, so I will seehim there. I think he will be impressed I am going to take a picture of it and put the technique on my website so others can benefit from this. The 'bridge' will grow out with the nail plate and I will probably have to soak it off and reapply when it gets out too far over the free edge, but that's okay as long as it prevents it from tearing off from too much movement from using the finger.

Just thought I'd let you know

Old 09-08-2007, 05:23 AM   #11
(female)

catara52 HB User

very creative, I'll keep my eye out for it on your website. I may write later. Coffee is calling.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:59 PM   #12
(female)

catara52 HB User

hi Marti, how's that nail feeling?

Old 09-13-2007, 05:05 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

The tip of the finger where I broke the tip of the bone is still tender if I touch it to anything, but the nail is feeling more stable. I sent pictures to my friends at Nails Magazine (a trade magazine) and they want to feature the technique in an upcoming issue. Now, I have to take 'real' pictures so they can use them. I had scanned it the first time, and scan doesn't come out as clear and sharp. When I get good pictures I'm going to put the technique on my website. I know I'm not the only one who has cut their nail like this

Old 09-13-2007, 06:06 AM   #14
(female)

catara52 HB User

honestly, you should pattern the idea quickly. the whole procedure and/ or the condition of the injury could be named after you. You could become even more famous than you are now!

Old 09-13-2007, 06:39 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Applying for a patent is VERY expensive and takes a VERY long time! Besides, if the idea will help other people that do this, that's all I need to know.

Closed Thread