It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2007, 01:27 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User
question abut vicks vaporub and toenail fungus

I've had a fungus on my right big toe for about 15 years- ever since a new nail grew back after I dropped a desk on it in 4th grade and cracked the nail off.
I've never done anything about the fungus because I didn't want to have to take an oral medication for it, which I'd always heard is the only thing that really gets rid of it. Well, it's looking even more gross than ever- its yellow and brown and very thick. It also grows extremely slowly, and I think it's because of the fungus.

I've recently heard about using Vicks VapoRub as a topical cure for the toenail fungius, and that I should apply it twice a day until the nail grows out. I decided to try it, since I have Vicks in my medicine cabinet already. Well, I used it for a day, and then realized tha the expiration date on the Vaporub is December of 1999. Ahem.
So I figured it probably lost some of its effectiveness, beng 8 years old and all, so I bought a new tub of it at the store, and then applied that to my nail. The weird thing is that I actually feel a weird tingling and slight pain under my nail now since I've applied the one I just bought. Should it be doing this? Is this hapening because it's attacking the fungus?
Just curious if this has happened to anyone else.

Also, how many people have tried this and had it actually work?
Thanks!

Old 09-03-2007, 06:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: question abut vicks vaporub and toenail fungus

If you have had the fungus in the nail for that many years, you might want to consider having just the nail plate removed so you can treat the nail bed.
The fungus lives deep within the tissues of the nail bed as well as in the layers of the nail plate. Treating the fungus in the nail bed would be much easier to do without the nail plate veing in the way. As long as the doctor does not remove the nail root, the nail plate will grow back.

The tingling sensation is due to the menthol in the Vicks, and if it is tingling, then you know you got it into the area of separation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2007, 08:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

Thanks, Marti.

When you say I got the Vicks into the area of separation, what do you mean? I had actually only put it on top of my nail. Would it soak through that quickly? I don't have a hard time believing it would, actually, because whenever I've worn nail polish on that nail, it soaks in, and I can't even remove it with nail polish remover. I usually have to wait until it grows out. Which is why I haven't worn nail polish on my toenails at all this summer...

Also, do you think it's possible that I got this fungus as my nail was growing back after the injury because it was easier for it to get to the tissues of the nail bed?

Thanks!

Last edited by SentenceDoing; 09-03-2007 at 08:48 AM.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

If you just put it on top of the nail plate, it will not do you any good at all - you have to try and get it into the area of separation. It HAS to touch the skin of the nail bed, and that means working it into the space between the nail plate and the nail bed. Yes, if the skin is sensitive, just the vapors of the menthol could make it tingle.

Any time there is a cut, tear or break to the seal surrounding the nail unit, it is the perfect avenue for fungus or bacteria to enter the site, set up housekeeping and turn into a full-blown infection. Have you tried to buff away the stain from the nail polish? You can do this with a 240 grit white block buffer from Sally Beauty Supply. Buff only until the stain is removed, which is usually only the surface 'shine'.

You should see your physician for a proper diagnosis of fungal infection and go from there.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:22 AM   #5
(female)

sonj186 HB User

i had a fungal nail infection a few years ago and was prescribed tablets by my doctor, it was a 3 month course which really worked! i didnt have any noticeable side effects, if you really dont want to take tablets, pure tea tree oil rubbed on twice a day is also very good, ive never heard of using vaporub before though.

sonj

The Following User Says Thank You to sonj186 For This Useful Post:
CandieDenise (05-04-2012)
Old 09-04-2007, 09:37 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

Thanks for your replies.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:24 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I know of several people who have succeessfully used Vicks for this. After all these years, though, I don't know. But it can't damage it so I'd keep trying it. The only time I had one I got it at the start and used lemon juice. Went right away.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:27 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

I've been using the Vicks for a few weeks now (ever since I first posted this thread), and it seems to be working well. I apply the Vicks underneath my nail twice a day (and keep the nail cut as short as possible), and the nail isn't yellow anymore. There's just one spot near the separation point that's still a little dark. The weird thing, though, is that instead of yellow, the nail seems to be kind of a whitish color under the nail. It's not pinkish like my other nails, but more whitish. Is this because my nail is still so thick? Will my nail eventually grow in thinner if the fungus is really gone?
Also, I got a pedicure (and manicure) this past weekend because of a wedding I was in... will this affect my toenail fungus? I saw the pedicurists clean out their foot tubs very thoroughly after each customer, so I'm not really worried about that aspect of it, but will having nail polish on that toenail affect the amount of moisture underneath my nail and make the fungus more stubborn to go away?
Thanks!

Old 09-25-2007, 05:10 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Take the polish off - you cannot 'see' what is happening if they are covered with polish, and thepolish will allow excess moisture to build up in the nail plate. Also, shame on the technician for giving ou a pedicure with active fungus. They are not supposed to give manicures or pedicures where active infection is present. They can end up passing it along to every client in their salon.

Closed Thread