It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2007, 04:27 PM   #1
Biya

How can Black line in fingernails be removed?

Hi ! I have a black horizontal line on the nail of my finger.This black line is very prominent,dark and think.I m getting this problem on my other nails also but other lines are not that much dark.I m so curious now to know the reason as this ugly line starts from the attachement of my nail with the flesh..Thanks

Old 10-03-2007, 05:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: How can Black line in fingernails be removed?

If the line is very dark and grows from under the cuticle area all the way to the free edge, you may very well have a nail melanoma. Nail Melanoma (commonly called a nail 'mole') may be malignant or benign. You really need to see your doctor for a proper diagnosis. If it is melanoma, it is nothing to fool around with!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2007, 08:00 PM   #3
(female)

elvis0724 HB User

this thin line can also be blood under the nail and will grow out it can be caused by trama to the nail bed and if you dont remember doing anything that can be possible too.It happens all the time.I do nails and see that alot

Old 10-04-2007, 05:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

I did forget to add that if the lines are horizontal they could be Beau's Lines which are usually seen in people of color. Again, please see your physician.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:16 PM   #5
(female)

whoyawit123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biya View Post
Hi ! I have a black horizontal line on the nail of my finger.This black line is very prominent,dark and think.I m getting this problem on my other nails also but other lines are not that much dark.I m so curious now to know the reason as this ugly line starts from the attachement of my nail with the flesh..Thanks
I have been in the Army for 18 years now. Over my time, I noticed several people with these dark lines on their nails. In 2003, I began to see a faint pinkish line, run through my thumb nail. Over time, it became black and ugly!
I am embarrassed by it and I hold my hand down all the time. I had enough last night and I looked it up. It's called hemmorage splinters. They may come from several different things, such as blood clots, insufficient blood flow, etc. I did read, however, that it may be related to the heart. For that reason, I am taking a visit to the doctor tomorrow. There seems to be no treatment for these ugly lines, so maybe, I can get some answers on the condition that causes them. I will stay in touch.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:09 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

A splinter hemoraghe is exactly that - they look like tiny little splinters in the nail plate that run vertical with the nail plate. They are caused by voids between the nail plate cells which occur during production and fill up with blood. If they are very tiny and look like splinters, they are nothing to worry about. If the line is thick and dark and runs from the cuticle to the free edge, it is more than likely a nail 'mole' which grows in the matrix and can be a melanoma (cancerous). If the lines are horizontal to the nail plate, they are more than likely Beau's lines. You need to get this checked out by your physician or dermatologist. I too do nails and your description is not classic for a splinter hemoraghe.

Last edited by Marti; 11-19-2007 at 05:11 AM.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:03 AM   #7
(female)

kmolly12 HB User

my doctor said don't worry about it still it bothers me,they say your health is shown in your fingernails. is it a vitamin or eating problem?

Last edited by kmolly12; 12-29-2007 at 09:05 AM. Reason: what to know

Old 12-31-2007, 05:26 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

No one knows exactly why splinter hemoraghes occur. They have never been associated with diet or vitamin deficiency.

Closed Thread