It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2007, 08:59 PM   #1
(female)

Warmfuzzee HB User
Marti, HELP! Fingernail fungus/infection... or just trauma or vitiman deficiency???

I have used arylic nails for about 10 years with no problems. I love them. About a month ago I had the full set removed and new ones applied. Although properly soaked and removed cautiously, still tramatic to natural nails, right? Shortly thereafter, (a couple of weeks later or so) I noticed that there was some seperation of my natural nail from the nail bed on just one of my fingernails... creeping above my french tip. Also, there was a small area of "very black dirt" under the nails on two fingers that I could not get removed. Not sure if that was between natural nail and acrylic or under natural nail... I lean toward under natural nail. Being very concerned, I went in to my salon last week and had all the acrylic nails removed. I no longer see the "black dirt". However, all my nails are a real mess. Although my nails look fairly normal (as far as color and thickness) there seems to be some seperation from the nail bed at the tips of most of my nails. The tip lines (where skin and nail meet) are all jagged and uneven... each nail having a differant depth in seperation. I would certainly expect them to be scarred, thin, and brittle for some time. But, never expected this much damage. Is it possible for this to occur due to just the removal removal process, especially since it was done twice in a little over a one month period? The nails are only slightly sore, I assume from the removal. I did not notice any of this seperation on any of the nails when they were removed for new ones one month ago. I am absolutley horrified at the possibility of having a nail infection or fungus. Of course, the salon owner assured me that it is not and that my nails would be fine... after a break from the acrylics. What could be wrong? And, what is the chance this could be an infection or fungus? And if it is, can it have progressed so rapidly? Honestly, this is keeping me awake at night...

Last edited by Warmfuzzee; 10-15-2007 at 10:18 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2007, 05:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Marti, HELP! Fingernail fungus/infection... or just trauma or vitiman deficiency?

The damage done to you rnatural nails is not the result of the acrylic; it is from the nail technician over-filing your natural nails with either a heavy grit file or worse yet, a drill. 90% of natural nail damage is the fault of the technician from using improper techniques and rushing the client through the service.

The nail separation could be from several causes: An allergic reaction, a yeast infection, a bacterial infection, a fungal infection or from just too much trauma placed on the natural nail from over filing or too much pressure when filing. Leave the nails off until the nails have completely healed; the damage will have to grow off as the nail plate will not re-adhere once it has separated. I am leaning toward thinking it is just too much trauma, but keep your eye on them. If the separation continues to move backward, see your physician as I would then suspect a yeast infection. Yeast (candida) is characterized by nail plate separation and a very white color to the area of separation. The natural 'smile' line will turn into either a straight line or a 'frown'. Fungus is characterized by a yellow discoloration, nail plate thickening, separation and apparent debris in the area of separation. Fungus leaves a very uneven edge and will follow the rails and grooves upon which the nail plate rides forward on the nail bed. In other words, there will be little lines from the free edge going toward the cuticle.

Closed Thread