It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2007, 10:45 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User
Constant Nail Breakage and Peeling

I know my diet is not healthy, but the one thing I don't skimp on is calcium. In addition to consuming milk and yogurt every day I take a multi-vitamin and a calcium supplement. However, my nails have done nothing but break and peel for the last several months. I keep them polished and filed. Is there something I can do to facilitate growth?

Old 10-24-2007, 06:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Constant Nail Breakage and Peeling

Take the polish off and leave it off - constantly wearing polish can dry out the nails, leaving them prone to cracking and breaking especially if the polish contains more than 2% formaldehyde, such as with nail strengtheners.

Calcium will certainly help your teeth and bones but will do nothing for your fingernails since they are comprosed of PROTEIN. Eating a healthy diet is imperative to good nails, skin and hair. Forget the fast food and opt for a balanced diet - you will notice a huge difference in your skin, hair, nails and weight.

To rehydrate dried out nails, get a bottle of Botanical Oil from the nail department of Sally Beauty Supply. Apply a small amount twice a day and massage into the nails and the cuticles.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2007, 10:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

Thanks Marti. So the old calcium-fingernail connection is an old wives tale? Would a diet high in protein strengthen nails? I've seen supplements in the vitamin aisle that are supposed to support nail growth. Is this true, or just another scam?

Old 10-25-2007, 06:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

It doesn't have to be high in protein, you just need to eat a balanced diet so you get your recommended daily amount of protein.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:23 PM   #5
(female)

peppurr HB User

I agree with Marti about the nail polish. I only polish my fingernails on special occasions and I take it off immediately after the event. When I've left it on in the past, my nails thin, crack and break.

Closed Thread