It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
(female)

nitee HB User
Unhappy Growing second finger nails

I thought my cuticles were just overgrowing, but I seem to be growing additional nails on top of my regular nails. They're in a half moon shape and cover the whole nailbed area. They're not as thick as regular nails, more like an overlay. They're too hard to be cuticles. I've recently taken some new meds (Evista,Zetia and Vesicare). I just noticed this growth in the last week, growing faster than my original nails. My toenails are not affected. I can't find anything anywhere on this subject. I'm not sure if I need to see a dermatologist or an internist or both.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Growing second finger nails

The matrix may be producing regular nail plate cells that are separated due to the medication. I would see your internist if this has only been happening since you started your prescriptions. It could be a rare side effect.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2007, 06:14 PM   #3
(female)

nitee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marti View Post
The matrix may be producing regular nail plate cells that are separated due to the medication. I would see your internist if this has only been happening since you started your prescriptions. It could be a rare side effect.
I was thinking that maybe the nail is just growing thicker due to the medication and appears to be a ridge at the point it begins. I would imagine it's the Evista (if it strengthens bones, it might do other strange things). I was thinking of calling the drug company to report this, but I should get some blood work done first to make sure nothing else is going on. I've also increased my calcium, although not but all that much. Well, I can't get my nails done right now, I'd scare the tech!

Thanks for your input.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Your fingernails are not comprosed of calcium, just your bones. Nails are comprosed of proteins - specifically, Keratin protein. Taking calcium will have no effect on the nails whatsoever.

See your doctor because ANY change in the nail plate is cause for concern. Your nails always show the first signs of internal disorder.

Closed Thread