It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2007, 01:32 PM   #1
(female)

suchy HB User
why do i have ridges in my thumb nails

why do i have ridges in my thumb nails

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2007, 08:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: why do i have ridges in my thumb nails

It depends on your genetics, but mostly what you are seeing is age related. As we age, the nail bed does not supply the nail plate with the same amount of oils and moisture and the nailplate becomes dried out to a certain extent. The ridges are actually the 'rails and grooves' upon which the nail plate rides forward on the nail bed. The rails are on the surface of the nail bed and the grooves are on the underside of the nail plate. These will never 'go away' but you can make them less prominent by applying a good quality nail and cuticle oil at least twice daily. Try Botanical Oil which is available in the nail department of Sally Beauty Supply.

Also, the nail plate can become dried out if you work with a lot of textiles (paper, fabric, etc.) or use strong solvents (household cleaning solutions) without wearing gloves.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread