It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2007, 01:52 AM   #1
(male)

adam89 HB User
what to do if your toenail is removed and does not grow back

After having several problems with an ingrown toenail, I had a procedure done which was intended to prevent further problems. My entire toenail was removed, and some sort of weak acid was applied to the edges of the root to make the nail grow back narrower.
It has been four or five months, and I have seen no trace of the nail growing back. The skin which was under the nail has not hardened at all, either. It is still extremely tender and sensitive. For this reason I have worn a Band-Aid over the nail site ever since the procedure.
Is it still possible that the nail will grow back? If not, what steps should I take next?
Thank you for your insight.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: what to do if your toenail is removed and does not grow back

First of all, you need to remove the bandaid and not use them anymore. Constantly wearing a bandaid allows the skin to remain 'wet' which will not allow it to heal. You need to allow the skin to dry out because right now, it is mascerated. Masceration will not allow healing. If you MUST wear a covering, wear a small piece of gauze and tie it onto the toe. Gause will allow the moisture to evaporate and bandaids will not. Apply a drop of peroxide to the skin twice a day for about a week to aid in drying it out and to help prevent infection.

Whenever a nail is removed and acid applied to the root, it can completely kill the root and no nail will ever grow again. Since it has been 5 months and you do not see any emergence of nail plate, I believe he killed the entire root.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread