It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
(female)

girlygurl41 HB User
finger nail was slammed in the door and now is black

Yesturday I slammed my finger into the car door. Half of my nail turned black. When I went to sleep my nail was in so much pain that I din't even fall asleep. Once in awhile I would put some ice on it, but it actually hurt worse when I did that. At one point in the night I started to feel sick, as if I was going to throw up. So I would lay on the bathroom floor until I felt better. In the morning I took a sharp pin and disinfected it, then I made a tiny little hole in my nail. Blood slowly came out of the hole, and a little of the pressure and pain was relieved. Then I made the hole a little bigger and blood came out faster then before (but still slowly). The blood dried up in the hole and no more blood came out.

Afterwords I started feeling sick again and this time I felt like I was going to throw up, and i felt overheaded. Once again I layed on the bathrrom floor until i felt better. Is this because of the pain in my nail? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I am thinking that my nail is the cause of me feeling sick off and on.

My nail is still purplish/black, and does still hurt, just not as bad. I am asuming that later in the future my nail will fall off. I am worried about this happening. How do I treat my nail when it does fall off? I have never had this happen to me before. What should I do that I havn't done yet? Did I take care of this situation properly?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: finger nail was slammed in the door and now is black

Don't feel silly - whenever I smash a finger, I always pass out

You did the right thing in making a hole in the nail plate so the blood could escape. It's the pressure of the build-up of blood that causes all the pain.

Soak it in cold water a couple of times a day, dry it really well and then try to get some peroxide into the space to help dry it out. Do not bandage it because this will allow moisture to build up and you need to keep it dry. Soak it for at least a week, twice a day for about 5-10 minutes each time.

The nail will grow back since you didn't rip it out at the root. Once the nail bed begins to heal, the nail plate will turn loose and you might want to cut it back as far as you can without causing yourself pain. Keep it short until the new nail completely grows in. Depending on which finger it was and your genetics for nail growth, it can take anywhere from 3-6 months for the nail to completely replace itself from the root to the free edge.

Closed Thread