It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2008, 10:37 AM   #1
(female)

ma999 HB User
what would cause a hole in my nail

I have a hole in my forefinger, which started at the cuticle line, and, it continues to grow. It appears that the nail cont to grow, but, not at the hole. another, annoying thing, does grow, trying to cover it up. I keep cutting that back. And, it does seen like there is a hard, uneven surface under the hole. There was no trauma to the nail, and, I did not add any new chemicals to my routine. It may have started shortly after cleaning my aquarium, which I have had for yrs.... Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2008, 07:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: what would cause a hole in my nail

Your aquarium is chock FULL of bacteria and I am guessing that youmay have had a tiny break to the seal surrounding the nail unit and one of these nasty little 'germs' got in there. There is ALWAYS a reason for damage to the nail plate. I think you should see your doctor for a proper diagnosis. Don't cut anything away as I am guessing that what you keep cutting away is the nail bed that is poking up through the hole. Continuing to cut this away can cause permanent damage to the nail bed. See your doctor!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2008, 07:31 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User

Ma999, My husband has this on a couple of his nails. He has psoriasis on his skin, and it moved to his nails. It looks like what you are explaining. Good luck.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Psoriasis of the nails looks like tiny little pin dot depressions in the nail plate. Thisperson says that there is something sticking up through the hole. I think it is different. Either way, they need to go to their doctor.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:20 PM   #5
(female)

ma999 HB User

Marti, several wks ago, I had a podiatrist look at it while at work, as a professional courtesy, and he said that the little thing that was growing out was a new nail trying to cover it, and, to cut it back to keep it from catching on things. He also said that if there is no damage to the nail bed, that the nail would just grow out. That is not happening. I forgot to mention that I work in a rehab center, and, I am probably a walking germ. And, the same day that I cleaned my tank, I cleaned 3 bird cages, and the house. No new chemicals though. But, I did use bleach, diluted in water. I am only guessing that that is what could have caused this. I have an apt next wed to see a podiatrist outside of work. Mary

Old 02-20-2008, 06:36 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Don't cut it back - it is trying to cover the hole for a reason and it will not grow out properly if you continue to cut it away. Did you wear gloves when you cleaned the tank and the bird cages? ALWAYS wear gloves to protect your hands from all the bacteria in the tank and especially the bird cages. You can get an infection from not wearing gloves when you clean, and using clorox or its equivilent can cause skin reactions as well as nail reactions. The warning lable says not to allow it to touch the skin.

If you are catching the new nail on things and are afraid it may tear, go to your local nail salon and have a silk wrap applied to the nail. This will fill in the gap between the old and the new nail so you won't catch it on things.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:49 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User

My husbands nails looks like he has a indentation almost the size of his nail. It is very sore, and tender. In the indentation it looks rough and bumpy, and almost like something is coming out, or trying to grow. My husband never had any idea that his psoriasis would go to his nails. He first was diagnosed with a fungus and then he went to his dermatologist and is was his psoriasis causing the nail issue. Good luck.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:34 PM   #8
(female)

ma999 HB User

Silly me. I went to a podiatrist about my nail. I thought that a nail is a nail, but, a podiatrist can only treat a problem from below the knee down. So, I still have my sick nail, and have not been seen by a Dr. The podiatrist said that I should either see my GP or a dermatologist. Anyone know if a dermatologist is who I need to see? Mary

Old 02-27-2008, 06:52 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Even my own doctor has admited that he knows very little about nails - he refers his patients to my website, or he sends me email See your dermatologist.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:30 PM   #10
(female)

ma999 HB User

Marti... I do not mean to question you... but, why a dermatologist? They deal with skin, right? ......When I went to this apt today, I went with a friend of mine, who has infections to both of her great toes. Her treatment will be a topical to the nails, covered with saran wrap or another source of, and I forget the word, but, to keep the topical on the nail and doing it's job. And, in a wk or two, she will lose her nails. They will nicely fall off. Back to me, 1/4 of my nail is a growing hole. The rest is growing normally. The 1/4 is no longer connected to a nail bed ,nor is it connected on one side. (Is that also considered a nail bed, or just a source of attachment?) Do you think that I would benefit from this nail elimination process? And, please tell me what the satin nail wrap is. Again, I work in the medical field, Physical therapist, and, I wash my hands about 2 billion times a day. Will this wrap hold moisture? And, Marti, again, I do not mean to question you, and for some reason I trust your info....But, I am a newbe to this site, and, not to be rude or anything, where do you get your info? Any credentials? Please continue to talk to me.... Mary

Old 02-28-2008, 06:16 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I get my info from a leading industry source who also happens to be a leading authority on nail diseases and disorders and testifies in court in CA for (or against) nail salons and technicians whose procedures may have caused permanent damage to clients nail plates or resulted in infection of some sort. His credentials are about a mile long and he happens to be a good friend as well. He has taught me everything I know and will answer any questions I may have for him.

As for why a dermatologist - they are trained in the diseases of skin AND nails - your regular doctor is not.

I have no idea why he suggested the saran wrap unless it is to keep the medication from drying out so it can destroy the nail plate. Yes, it will allow moisture to build up on the skin and in the nail plate and the medication he prescribed may need the extra moisture to work correctly.

You should let your dermatologist diagnose your nail problem and prescribe what is right for you.

Last edited by Marti; 02-28-2008 at 06:17 AM.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:42 PM   #12
(female)

ma999 HB User

Marti....Thanks for the info. I did already trust your knowledge, and now I trust it even more. I will find a dermatologist. I did not know that nails were part of their specialty. You suggested a silk wrap. I do not know what that is, but, if it does not hold moisture, I will find one this wkend, as part of my nail is lose from the side and is beginning to catch on things, and that is not a nice thing to think about. Can you explain this to me, as I have a feeling I may have to explain it to the person at my salon. Thanks for your advice. M

Old 02-29-2008, 06:19 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

The nail technician will know what a silk wrap is if they apply any type of artificial nails. No, it will not hold moisture as long as the tech leaves a tiny margin all around the nail unit so the natural moisture has an avenue of 'excape'.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:50 PM   #14
(female)

ma999 HB User

Ok, I will go tomorrow.... But, where I go, they speak little English. I think I may make a phone call or two. I will also do some research tonight. Thanks.... M

Old 03-01-2008, 06:31 PM   #15
(female)

ma999 HB User

Marti, My girfriend, who is also my hair dresser, who learned how to do silk wraps, way back when she was in training, said that the silk wrap involves a glue. Unless this process has changed, I do not think that I want to apply something that I have to remove/pull off....Nasty, nasty, nasty... I deal with broken bones, and open wounds and people dieing of cancer.... But, do not mess with my nail.... NASTY!!! I once treated a lady, who was in a car accident, and had all kinds of external hardware to keep her bones in place, not a problem, but, when she told me that she had two fingernails ripped off, I just could not handle that.... Nasty... Please suggest something else....M

Closed Thread