It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2008, 07:37 AM   #1
(male)

MrEGuy72 HB User
Question Extremely wavy thumbnails

I've had wavy thumbnails for the past couple of years. At times, they're worse than at other times. But at the moment, they are about as bad as they've ever been.

Its only the 2 thumb nails. No other finger nails or toe nails have this problem. The waves are from side to side. Not from bed to tip. The 2 nails have large lunula that extend nearly half way up the nail. I've taken an image of the nails, one nail viewed from the top and another from the side. The image can be found at (I see now not to post links to images so I removed it. That makes things much more difficult.).

Any information you can pass along would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bri

Last edited by MrEGuy72; 02-19-2008 at 07:44 AM.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Extremely wavy thumbnails

I am assuming that you have ridges from side to side - are they brownish in color, or are they clear? It could be Beau's Lines.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
(male)

MrEGuy72 HB User

They have no unusual color. Its just the normal clear nail color. Yes, from side to side. They aren't ridges though. There are 2 large waves in the nails from side to side, very large peaks. The valleys also seem to be deeper than the normal nail should lay as well. They grow out over time as new ones form at the base of the nail.

I just googled beau's lines. Its nothing like that. The waves are much much more prominent. I wish there was a way I could link to the image of them.

It looks sort of like... if you lay a piece of cloth flat in front of you and push 2 opposite sides toward each other into the center. The cloth would buckle up in waves. This is the closest description I can think of.

Last edited by MrEGuy72; 02-19-2008 at 11:07 AM.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Have you had any type of trauma to the nail plate or to the skin just above the nail plate?

Old 02-20-2008, 05:45 AM   #5
(male)

MrEGuy72 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marti View Post
Have you had any type of trauma to the nail plate or to the skin just above the nail plate?
No. No trauma. And both thumbnails seem to grow quite identically. Although the left one is slightly less pronounced. Ok. Since I can't post an image link, let me try to ascii draw it. *giggle*. This is a side view of my thumb (nail in red). This is actually pretty close to scale of the waves in my nail as well.

.........Wavy thumb nail..........knuckle
.....................-..-..--------===----
.Tip of finger..|
....................\________________

Last edited by MrEGuy72; 02-20-2008 at 05:47 AM.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:10 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

The nail plate follows the shape of the underlying nail bed. Do you use any type of solvents in your work?

Old 02-22-2008, 08:13 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

I have the exact same thing. It started while I was pregnant with my son. I asked my dr. about it and he asked me if I slammed them in a door or something (I didn't by the way). I did, however, have low iron which I thought might have been the cause but they don't seem to be getting any better even after treatment. I am assuming it has to be a deficiency of something...but what??! They are quite an embarrassing conversation piece at times! If you do figure it out let me know. I will do the same.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:02 AM   #8
(male)

MrEGuy72 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marti View Post
The nail plate follows the shape of the underlying nail bed. Do you use any type of solvents in your work?
Nothing like this.

I am quite a hermit though. I rarely get out in the sun which means my vitamin D? I think? could be quite low, and my nutritional intake isn't what it should be. I'm also morbidly obese.

I have assumed its a nutritional deficiency of some sort but... what throws me off is that none of my other nails have the problem. Only my thumbnails. I would assume and could very well be wrong that a nutritional defficiency would effect them all the same.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:04 AM   #9
(male)

MrEGuy72 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond79 View Post
I have the exact same thing. It started while I was pregnant with my son. I asked my dr. about it and he asked me if I slammed them in a door or something (I didn't by the way). I did, however, have low iron which I thought might have been the cause but they don't seem to be getting any better even after treatment. I am assuming it has to be a deficiency of something...but what??! They are quite an embarrassing conversation piece at times! If you do figure it out let me know. I will do the same.
Thanks for the reply. I will definitely post the answer when I find it. I'm well overdue for a physical and have it on my list to show to the doctor.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:44 PM   #10
(female)

TBlonde007 HB User

I have the EXACT same problem...it only appears on my thumbnails and large toenails...I was doing a little bit of research and I came across this...

"Horizontal ridges that cross the nail like wavy furrows,
indicate that something has interrupted the nail growth, such as high fever,
nutritional deficiencies, drug reactions, painful menstruation, childbirth,
or trauma from surgery. The nail matrix stops producing keratin. When the
nail begins to grow again, a groove marks the spot where the nail-forming
cells rested."

I havent been keeping up on my daily multi-vitamins and my family has a history of low B-12...so hopefully this will solve my problem.

-Lauren

Old 03-28-2008, 05:14 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

FYI: Your fingernails will 'mirror' your internal health. This is one reason why your physician requests no nail polish or nail enhancements when on is scheduled for surgery. They cannot 'see' what is going on internally unless they can see your nail bed through the nail plate. Your nails are usually affected first, then your hair, then your skin.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:52 PM   #12
(female)

sisterofe HB User

Hi,

It sounds to me like "habit tic nail deformity." This is caused by habitual or subconscious pressing or picking at the cuticle. You may not even be aware that you are doing it. Most people only do it to their thumbs, and it causes horizontal lines and the creases you describe. If this is what it is, then you're in luck - usually it's relatively easy to correct or at least improve the condition of your nails just by stopping the behavior. Of course, this may be easier said than done - but once you're aware of it, it's not impossible.

Just my humble opinion. You can find more by looking up "habit tic nail deformity" or "habit tic deformity" on Google.

Hope that helps,
J

Old 04-24-2008, 12:50 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEGuy72 View Post
Since I can't post an image link, let me try to ascii draw it. *giggle*. This is a side view of my thumb (nail in red). This is actually pretty close to scale of the waves in my nail as well.

.........Wavy thumb nail..........knuckle
.....................-..-..--------===----
.Tip of finger..|
....................\________________
I love your ascii drawing!!!!

And by the way, that's exactly what I get on my big toenail on my right foot. But in my case, I'm pretty sure it's from a bad injury that happened about 16 years ago.

Last edited by SentenceDoing; 04-24-2008 at 12:58 PM.

Closed Thread