It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2008, 09:18 AM   #1
(male)

utnvpa HB User
Question Swollen under cuticle and deformed nail?

For several years, I've had a problem with a fingernail that has now flared up again. There is a bit of a "lump" up under the cuticle area of my middle finger, and it appears a bit swollen and raised away from the nail. This happened several years ago, but got very sore and I went to the doctor, who did a culture and found (as I recall) both staph and strep going on. A course of keflex seemed to clear it up. However, that nail has remained deformed, with a valley the length of the nail lwhere it grows from the lump area.

About a month ago, it got sore again and I went to a different doctor. He prescribed a 10-day antibiotic that calmed it down, but within two days of stopping it, the swelling and pain was back. So, another visit, he did a culture (negative) and another 10-days of a different antibiotic, as well as a cream to rub in it in case it's a fungus. Again, the antibiotic stopped the pain but as soon as I finished it, the finger got red again and sore. It finally got to the point I could push on it and see it needed to drain, so I got it to drain and the fluid inside was viscous but clear and had no smell.

I'm soaking it in hot water each evening and that seems to help a lot, with less redness and soreness. Does anybody have any idea what this might be and what type of doctor I should see? I've been going to a walk in clinic and that doesn't seem to be working, as they haven't a clue. At a hundred bucks a throw, it would be nice to go to somebody who might have an idea how to treat it.

TIA!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2008, 07:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Swollen under cuticle and deformed nail?

Do yourself a favor and go to a dermatologist. It could very well be a tumor growing in the matrix since you describe it as a 'lump'. I am figuring tumor because it has deformed the nail plate. This is more common than you may think.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:55 AM   #3
(male)

utnvpa HB User
Re: Swollen under cuticle and deformed nail?

Just an update. I DID see a dermatologist and it is a myxoid cyst. She says my symptoms are classic. Got me trying a steroid cream and I'll check back with her in a week or so, but it doesn't appear to be making any difference. From what I've been able to find on the 'net, there is a difference of opinion regarding removing it surgically, because the recurrence rate is high. The good news is that they are always benign.

Last edited by utnvpa; 03-27-2008 at 09:55 AM.

Closed Thread