It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2008, 08:24 AM   #1
(female)

Kristinenatalie HB User
my toe nail bed hurts

I had my big toenail removed on my right foot because of toenail fungus that was growing there. The doctor put phenol in the corners to prevent them from growing back. Well my nail bed is REALLY sensitive and hurts to the touch. Sometimes it even sticks to the bandage. The doctor told me to soak it 20 min a day in soapy water, then put hydrogen peroxide on it (OUCH!!!!) and then to put this Amerigel stuff on a bandaid to put in it (Which hurts a lot!) to help it heal. I am wondering if anyone else has gone through this torture? Is this a normal post-op treatment of my toe?

Old 03-12-2008, 05:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: my toe nail bed hurts

You need to soak it in cold water at least twice a day to help alleviate the pain. After soaking, dry it as well as you can and apply a drop of peroxide to help prevent infection and to help dry out the exposed nail bed. DO NOT use a bandaid as it allows too much moisture to build up in the skin - if you have to wrap it, use plain gauze and tie it onto the toe with the ends of the gauze. This will allow the natural moisture to evaporate. Wear open toe shoes until the nail bed dries out, which can take about 2 weeks. After that, wear shoes that are not tight on the toes or put downward pressure on the nail bed.

Keep it clean and dry and it should heal correctly. I am not an advocate of antibacterial creams or ointments for use on the nail bed as it can mascerate the wound, taking longer to heal. The peroxide will do the same thing as the ointment, but will allow the skin to dry out and harden as it should.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2008, 07:54 AM   #3
(female)

Kristinenatalie HB User

The reason that I had my toenail removed was because the nail had toe fungus. The nail is going to grow back (hopefully). They want me to alternate between anti-bacterial ointment (Amerigel) and anti-fungal treatment so that the nail doesn't grow back infected. The thing is that I can't have just a bandaid or loose gauze on it because I am a substitute teacher. I can't have it falling off while I am teaching at school.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

The gauze won't be loose because you can wrap the injured toe and then tie it off to the next toe. You should still soak it in cold water to help alleviate the pain and then follow up with peroxide. This is what my doctor told me to do when I ripped off half my pinky nail. He didn't want me applying antibacterial ointment because the nail bed would have mascerated (stayed wet and wouldn't heal). He had me apply a cortisone cream he gave me and it only took about 2 weeks for it to dry out and feel much better. If you keep it clean and dry and it is free of fungus right now, I seriously doubt if it will return. You should, however; apply the antifungal prescription.

Closed Thread