It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2008, 12:55 AM   #1
(female)

shynail HB User
abnormal growth due to crush injury

I have abnormal nail growth on my right ring finger as a result of a door crush injury when I was a young child (many, many years ago). As it became apparent that it was not regrow properly, I consulted with my doctor who quickly replied that it would do so given some time. Like another poster, I hesitated to see another doctor for a long time, and am getting the sinking feeling that the damage is permanent, but would like consult with one now but am clueless to where I should start looking. I do not know exactly how to describe it, but it looks like the lunula extends all the way to the edge of fingernail where it then forms into another nail under the original. As a result, the top nail is raised, thick, and conical shaped. The "nail" underneath is thick as well with ridges. I just hope there is a doctor who may be able to perform surgery on it. I appreciate any suggestions or experiences. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2008, 06:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: abnormal growth due to crush injury

When the matrix (where the nail plate cells are born) is crushed or damaged in any way, the damage is usually permanent. If it did not heal properly within the first few months, what nail you have now is what you will always have. Surgery can only remove the root of the nail so no new nail will ever grow. Damage to the matrix cannot be surgically corrected. If you want a proper diagnosis, see your dermatologist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2008, 08:19 PM   #3
(female)

shynail HB User
Re: abnormal growth due to crush injury

Thank you Marti. Looking at my nail, I see a white stripe from the top to the bottom of my nail where there should be a "half moon". I can't imagine how that could possibly be reversed either but I will consult with a dermatologist. I appreciate your advice and time.

Closed Thread