It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2008, 04:19 PM   #1
(male)

Mitch24 HB User
Wow! Cheap lamisil!

I have been dealing with severe toenail fungus for years and I decided to take the plunge and buy some expensive meds(lamasil). I was extremely excited when i walked up to the counter and they told me they had a generic brand out for lamisil (terbinafine). The lamisil was almost $200 for 14 pills and the generic brand was $4 for the same amount! Good bye toe fungus !!!

Last edited by Mitch24; 06-17-2008 at 10:38 AM.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:06 PM   #2
(female)

Mia11 HB User
Re: Wow! Cheap lamisil!

not really a total and quick goodbye to toenail fungus as i have used the same medication for 3 months as directed. I was excited as you that my insurance covered it and i was able to get it and let down exteremly hard has i have seen no change and still have pain and problems with my toenail after 6 months from the start of taking the meds til now. Maybe i will go see the doctor again but i feel it is a lost cause now.

Hope it works for you though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2008, 06:17 AM   #3
(male)

Mitch24 HB User

I've been dealing with this problem in my big toe for about 10 years now. I'm really hoping that it works . My doc prescribed 500mg/day for 1 week out of each month for 4 months. How are you taking yours? Have you noticed any difference at all? You may need to use it longer? I was told it takes a good 6 months to have a fresh nail plate.

Last edited by Mitch24; 03-22-2008 at 06:19 AM.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Fungal spores live deep within the nail bed as well as in the layers of nail plate. To survive, they eat the proteins in the nail plate for 'food', which is why the nail plate separates from the nail bed, becomes thickened and discolored with apparent debris in the area of separation. The debris is the waste of the infection. It can also cause the lifted portion of the nail plate to crumble. Oral medications will eventually kill the fungal spores in the nail bed, and the residual effects of the medication can remain in your system for a long time after you have finished the medication. As with any oral medication, you need to take it according to the prescription. If you miss any or fail to follow the instructions from you rdoctor, the meds won't work correctly.

If you have completed your round of meds and feel you still need something on the nail, you can use one of the over-the-counter topical treatments for nail fungus.

Toe nails grow much slower than fingernails and depending on your genetics for nail growth, can take anywhere form 6-12 months for the nail to completely replace itself from the matrix to the free edge.

There is no 'quick' cure for nail fungus.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
(female)

Rain820 HB User

Hey I have a few questions about Lamisil. I have finally taken the plunge today too and went to a podiatrist about my fungus. I've written here about it a few times and have been trying all the various home remedies, to no avail. I'm not sure if I haven't given them as much time as needed, but I just wanted to take a more firm stance finally. As suspected, the doc said said we would go the Lamisil route. Nothing I haven't read about before, first I'm to get a blood test and if that checks out, he will order up the first 6 week round of Lamisil. Then another bloodtest, and the next 6 week supply, if the liver is fine. I'm still a little leary about that though, I mean if it messes up the liver, is that a permanent thing, or does it get better once you stop the meds?

And I'm not sure how much I should expect to spend on the Lamisil. I know everone insurance would be different, and he took a sample of the nail to prove that it's a medical thing. Can anyone give me a guesttimate of what it could be with insurance? I'm just curious because I have nothing to compare it with like if $200 is the norm, that would be good to know beforehand.

I also think I'm going to wait it out a few more months before I start treatment. Since we're going into the summer months, it's going to be REALLY hard to not want to fall into my usual hiding the nails trick. I know that polishing them makes it worse and lets the fungus grow more, but I really don't want to be miserable this summer while these pills are slowly doing their thing, if they even work. I figure, I'll just wait till end of August - September and then start the treatment, that way I will have the whole fall/winter/ etc. to try and kick this thing out of my system.

Last edited by Rain820; 04-07-2008 at 12:01 PM.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:00 PM   #6
(female)

Mia11 HB User

Cost me 10 dollars each month as a copay with my insurance. Havent been that happy with the results and i am having more pain with my nail now. Back to the doctor i go i guess.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:55 PM   #7
(female)

Texanne HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain820 View Post
I also think I'm going to wait it out a few more months before I start treatment. Since we're going into the summer months, it's going to be REALLY hard to not want to fall into my usual hiding the nails trick. I know that polishing them makes it worse and lets the fungus grow more, but I really don't want to be miserable this summer while these pills are slowly doing their thing, if they even work. I figure, I'll just wait till end of August - September and then start the treatment, that way I will have the whole fall/winter/ etc. to try and kick this thing out of my system.

I don't think that nail polish will hurt. I think you would be better to start now, and just keep your toenails painted..

Old 04-30-2008, 08:23 PM   #8
(female)

Rain820 HB User

Just a little update...I decided to get the bloodwork done and start the treatment. I Just got my prescription today, and was going to fill it tomorrow...BUT my curious side got the best of me and I googled up some reviews. I know that the internet can sometimes be haven for hypochondriacs, and that everyone is different so things are going to affect some badly, some good, etc. But I found one page of reviews on this stuff and it was like 95% HORRIBLE reviews. I assume any medication has a tendancy for side effects, but these reviews were insanely negative. I mean, I would expect it to be 50/50. Loss of taste, weight gain, and depression seemed to be the majority of complaints which is bad enough, but many of the people claim the side effects did not go away after weeks of being off the Lamisil. These people claimed to be of good health as well, and they regret taking it, strongly advise against it, etc. Oh and also, most of the posts I read were as recent as last week!! So it's not as if that was an issue but it's been since improved. Very scary.

I think I'm going to pass on this stuff yet again, and give the natural treatments a try again, but MUCH more thoroughly. Ugh.

Last edited by Rain820; 04-30-2008 at 08:25 PM.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:38 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

geggar HB User

I started prescribing Lamisil when it first came out over 10 years ago and have had very few side effects. Not one person had to discontinue it due to liver problems, have had less than 10 that got a rash or upset stomach and 2 or 3 that had the loss of taste that did come back after discontinuing. One person thought the loss of taste was a good thing as she thought it would help her lose weight but found that she just ate more sweets and ice cream because she could still taste that.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:24 AM   #10
(male)

vv15629 HB User

Take the lamisil, topical remedies DONT WORK. Ive dried a dozen of them for years. Then finally got the lamisil, it was the only thing that worked although im still battling a small portion of stubborn fungus on the tips of my big toes. Although they look a hundred times better and good enough to wear sandals in the summer. They also softened up the bottoms of my feat greatly. Im going to get another 30 pills to try and beat this last bit but it seems pretty stubborn. Try it out and just keep an eye for side effects. Again topical remedies DONT WORK, but im sure some may disagree. I got a very mild chest rash for about 2 weeks, no other probs. Good luck!

Old 05-04-2008, 07:06 PM   #11
(female)

Texanne HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain820 View Post
Just a little update...I decided to get the bloodwork done and start the treatment. I Just got my prescription today, and was going to fill it tomorrow...BUT my curious side got the best of me and I googled up some reviews. I know that the internet can sometimes be haven for hypochondriacs, and that everyone is different so things are going to affect some badly, some good, etc. But I found one page of reviews on this stuff and it was like 95% HORRIBLE reviews. I assume any medication has a tendancy for side effects, but these reviews were insanely negative. I mean, I would expect it to be 50/50. Loss of taste, weight gain, and depression seemed to be the majority of complaints which is bad enough, but many of the people claim the side effects did not go away after weeks of being off the Lamisil. These people claimed to be of good health as well, and they regret taking it, strongly advise against it, etc. Oh and also, most of the posts I read were as recent as last week!! So it's not as if that was an issue but it's been since improved. Very scary.

I think I'm going to pass on this stuff yet again, and give the natural treatments a try again, but MUCH more thoroughly. Ugh.
You know, if you go to the "Lasik Surgery" message board on here, you will see almost all negative posts, because after people have a successful experience, they aren't likely to be researching and joining message boards. People who have bad experiences are going to seek out others for support, which is great, but statistically, lasik surgery is very safe and effective. I would certainly consider talking to my doctor about the Lamisil, but try to find research and statistics to balance out the horror stories you read. I posted about Splenda causing me to have panic attacks, but in retrospect I think it was the coffee that I was putting it in! Message boards are definitely anecdotal evidence at best...

Old 05-21-2008, 03:52 AM   #12
(female)

Rain820 HB User

That's ironic that you mentioned Lasik surgery, I've been up and down about that too, and my siter and brother in law just had it the last few weeks and are thrilled, hah! But honestly, I do get your point and I agree. I know the internet is often a haven for paranoia and hypochondriacs. I am one of them at times. But, I know myself and my body. I have a bad stomach to begin with, like if I eat something bad that'll just affect someone a day, I'm down & out for a week. I just don't know if I like the idea of a drug going into me that's only got 38% success rate, and more risk than not. But, maybe I will attempt it if this last attempt at tackling this doesn't work. Which brings me to the point of this post....I wanted to give a bit of an update.

Now, since I've last posted, I've been more diligent than ever. I apply the white vinegar night and day, and on the weekends, as often as I feel like it. When I have to wear socks, I put Lotrimin powder in them to keep it dry. I also bought Tinactin spray, because the podiatrist suggested this could be athletes foot related because my skin was kind of dry too. I know this wouldn't cure the toenails, but my theory is maybe it originated from the skin, or vice versa, and they are affecting each other. I also soak my feet in baking soda and water , not every night, but I think I'll try to do that more often. And last night I applied the vicks again. Basically I'm trying everythign and anything. I didn't want to dot hat at first because then you can't tell what's working or what's not. But I don't care about what does it anymore, I just want it DONE. Or at least better. OH and with the white vinegar, I've also added salt to the mix because I read that as a remedy too. Salt apparently has healing qualities, and it keeps the vinegar from drying up too much. But they say that could be a problem if you have high blood pressure or other salt intake issues, which I don't I have (at least to my knowledge, my BP is always low when I go to docs).

So now a while ago on the left big toe, I could have sworn I saw the teeniest bit of white showiing through, right in the center of the nail, at the cuticle. I wasn't sure if this meant it was improvin, because that nail wasn't as bad as the right toe. BUT now this morning, I put some witch hazel on the right big toe, and for some reason I noticed the same thing! It looks like it's getting clear, right in the center, by the cuticle. I was putting the witch hazel because the cuticle feels thick there, and it's a little achey, which has happened before and it does clear up. I think it was that I filed it down too much, but whatever. I hope that's not another problem starting up! Anyway, back to the good news. It doesn't look pink, it's a bit of clearness with a little bit of white around it kind of. It doesn't sound like much but the nail overall has been all yellow and black for the longest time. So, please please PLEASE, God, whoever else is up there or out there, I hope this means that all my efforts are starting to work! I'm going to keep it up obviously, but I wanted to just post cuz I think finally there's a light at the end of the tunnel, though it still seems like a long tunnel, it's a bit inspiring, lol. Let's just hope I'm not jinxing myself now!!

Old 05-21-2008, 04:09 AM   #13
(female)

Texanne HB User

Great! Keep us posted.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:26 PM   #14
(male)

Mitch24 HB User

UPDATE: I have just recently finished my 3rd cycle of the terbinafine. My nails are looking GREAT!!!!! I haven't noticed any side effects (i've had some dry mouth, that's about it.) I have one week left to go in June and by then I expect my nails to be grown out completely and nice and pink for the first time in about 8 years =D. The best part is that it only cost me about 8 dollars for the whole treatment ))). I highly recommend terbinafine.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:37 AM   #15
(male)

Mitch24 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Wow! Cheap lamisil!

It's almost been another month and I'm on my last cycle of the terbinafine. My nails look great. The only problem is that they wont grow fast enough! The only fear I have is the fungus growing back in the future . I'll let ya know what happens in a few months

Closed Thread