It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2008, 12:49 PM   #1
(female)

nae33 HB User
Nail issue

My nail fell off from an injury and it is growing back farley quickly but it is not attaching to the nail bed as it grows. I dont know what to do...please help.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Nail issue

It depends entirely on what happened to the nail bed when you injured it. If the nail plate was ripped off, if you cut the nail bed or something jsut as bad.

The nail plate rides forward on the nail bed upon a series of rails and grooves much like a train rides forward on its tracks. The rails are on the surface of the nail bed and the grooves are on the underside of the nail plate. When the nail plate is ripped off the nail bed, it takes the rails with it since they are on the surface of the nail bed. When the rails are ripped off the nail bed, the nail plat ehas nothing to ride forward on and the portion that was injured becomes regular skin. The nail plate will only be attached to the nail bed at the portion that was not injured. It will grow unattached on the injured portion.

I trapped my pinky nail in the car door and cut the nail plate clean in two as well as cut through the nail bed. My pinky nail is attached up to the cut, but is free edge as it grows over the cut. So, my pinky nail is about 1/3rd shorter than normal where it is attached to the nail bed. This will be a permanent condition from now on. By the way, I did this about 9 months ago.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread