It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2008, 11:10 AM   #1
(male)

Data HB User
Partially Detached Big Toenail

About 2 months back I stubbed by Toe rather hard, it started leaking some clear fluid from the tip, which stopped after a few minutes. The nail turned blackish blue. As the nail grew a yellowish area appeared below the blackish blue area.

2 weeks ago a horizontal line appeared at the base of the nail, growth below that line was normal. Today I accidentally stubbed the toe again, and the nail lifted at the horizontal line. It still partially attached at the other end.

Before pushing back down I took a peek there is new nail growth in the area where the old nail lifted from.

There is also a foul odor coming from beneath the nail, Should I keep the nail covered or leave it alone? I also heard you should trim the old/dead nail down as far as you can. Thanks

Old 04-24-2008, 05:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Partially Detached Big Toenail

If there is a "foul odor" under the nail, chances are that it is infected. Maybe not with fungus, but certainly with bacteria. Cut the nail back as far as you can without causing yourself any pain. Clean the area with a soft toothbrush and warm soapy water, rinse really well and dry with a soft cloth. Apply a drop or tow of peroxide to the area - it will wick into all the spaces. If it bubbles a lot, bacteria is present. Apply the peroxide twice a day to kill any infection. If it doesn't clear up within a week, you should see your podiatrist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2008, 06:56 AM   #3
(male)

Data HB User

Thanks for the information. Marti. The toenail fell off while I was clipping it. There was no pain It just came off when I pressed down on the nail cutter. I cleaned the area best I can. I worried about geting fungus there. Will the hydrogen peroxide prevent that.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

No, the peroxide will not prevent fungus, but it will help to keep the remaining portion of the nail unit clean and dry so fungal spores won't want to move in. Fungal spores are abundant in grass, dirt, etc, so wear shoes to protect your feet when going outdoors. Not just sandals, but shoes that prevent your toes from getting 'dirty.'

Closed Thread