It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2008, 08:52 AM   #1
(male)

Tubesox HB User
Question Fingernail Fungus? Eczema? What is it?

In October of last year I had an irritating inch in my right index finger. It was red around the cuticle and the cuticle was raised. I assumed I may have got some bacteria in there after having bit off a cuticle. I would also get a little bleeding from the raised cuticle. That happened maybe twice. 2 weeks later I noticed 2 blisters next to the red inflamed cuticle. I then went to the Dr. and they diagnosed it a bacterial infection and prescribed an antibacterial ointment and soaking in salt water. The blisters then began moving to the tip of the finger so I called the Dr. and they prescribed Amoxicillin. I took that for 7 days wasnít getting any results. I called the Dr. again and the prescribed me a new dose. A week later I went to the dermatologist. He said it was Dyshidrotic Eczema and prescribed a steroid ointment. I used that for about a month and the symptoms remained. My finger nail then began to turn yellow where the problem initiated. I went back to the Dermatologist and he was very short with me and insisted that it was eczema and there was nothing I could do about it. I just had to live with it and use lotion and steroid ointment. Weeks later the nail got worse. The entire nail, except for the base turned yellow and began to rise off the base. The gap got wider and wider until I eventually cut the whole damn thing off. I was worried it would get caught on something and rip off. Over the last month the blisters have moved half way down my finger and show no signs of stopping. The nail stays white around the corners of the base of the nail. I keep it cut back and moisturized. I do experience mild itching and that only occurs when new blisters begin to form.

It might be eczema, but I still think itís a bacterial infection. I really donít know. All I know is I want my fingernail back and I donít want this to spread into the rest of my hand and into my arm.

If you have a similar experience or have any idea what this is, let me know. Thanks for reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2008, 08:31 PM   #2
(female)

MyJoyAsa HB User
Re: Fingernail Fungus? Eczema? What is it?

Have you looked up Herpes Whitlow on the web? I think that's how it's spelled. If you have oral herpes you can spread it to your fingers. Blisters is one of the symptoms and they frequently move down the finger. You case doesn't sound typical as the outbreaks of HW come, heal and leave. It sounds like this is staying around. But I'd still look up more information on it just to be sure. If it's Herpes Whitlow and you are having multiple outbreaks, it is can be spread to others you touch.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:58 AM   #3
(male)

Tubesox HB User
Re: Fingernail Fungus? Eczema? What is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJoyAsa View Post
Have you looked up Herpes Whitlow on the web? I think that's how it's spelled. If you have oral herpes you can spread it to your fingers. Blisters is one of the symptoms and they frequently move down the finger. You case doesn't sound typical as the outbreaks of HW come, heal and leave. It sounds like this is staying around. But I'd still look up more information on it just to be sure. If it's Herpes Whitlow and you are having multiple outbreaks, it is can be spread to others you touch.
It's not Herpes. I do not have Oral Herpes.

Closed Thread