It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2008, 12:14 PM   #1
(female)

kelly415 HB User
acrylic nail infection

I've had acrylic nails for over a year. The last time I got a new set a few weeks ago when they took off the acrylic my nails were extremely thin, which I was not surprised by. But I got them filled yesterday and part of my pinky nail got torn which burned horribly but once the acrylic was on it was fine. It hurt a little bit a few hours later and when I woke up this morning it hurt alot and my pinky is really swollen. There is puss between the acrylic and the part of my nail that was torn off. I don't know if I should attempt to remove the acrylic or not because I might rip off my entire nail. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of going back to the nail salon to see if they can do something about it.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:09 AM   #2
(female)

kelly415 HB User
Re: acrylic nail infection

well I went and she told me to just leave it alone and come back in 2 or 3 weeks and she'll soak them and take all the acrylic off. but the fact that there is puss underneath there and that my finger has been swollen all day bothers me. i hope theres no harm in having a swollen pinky its just gross. hopefully it goes down by tommorow.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2008, 05:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

You need to soak off the product on that nail immediately. You can go to my website for instructions on how to do this. [url]www.hooked-on-nails.com[/url] Click on the link for Product Removal and use the 'tin foil' method. DO NOT attempt to mechanically force the product from the nail plate, or what remains of the nail plate. What happened was they either drilled completely through the naail plate and exposed the nail bed, or they ripped off the nail plate with their nippers. You will need to leave the product off this nail until it has completely healed and the damaged portion has grown off the free edge.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:05 PM   #4
(female)

kelly415 HB User

it doesnt hurt anymore and the swelling has gone down mostly. but there is still liquid under part of the acrylic. is this why i need to remove it? I thought it might be better to leave it the way it is and let it grow out than remove it and have my nail bed exposed. and I didnt realize how horribly my old set was removed (at a different place), they used a plastic tip and slid it under the acrylic to remove it and it hurt ALOT.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

If there is exposed nail bed (with liquid) under the acrylic, you need to soak off the acrylic and let it heal. It should be kept clean and DRY adn it cannot heal or dyr out with the overlay in tact. YOu will need to leave the acrylic off tha tnailuntil the damaged portion has grown off the free edge. This can take at least 3 months depending on your genetics for nail growth. Leaving the overlay in tact can allow the liquid to make even more of the nail plate separate from the nail bed. It has to heal and it cannot heal properly if it is covered. Once the overlay is removed, the skin can dry out and if you apply peroxide a couple times a day, you can prevent infection.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:34 PM   #6
(female)

kelly415 HB User

Thank you for your advice

Closed Thread