It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2008, 07:49 AM   #1
(female)

KLee41 HB User
vertical split fingernail

I have a vertical split in my fingernail. It happened after polishing some silver I purchased at a second-hand store - silver polish plus water = bad nail!

I was keeping the nail cut very short but it kept catching on things and tearing more. I had acrylic nails put on 2 weeks ago to try to stop that. I absolutely hate the acrylics!! My nails grow so fast that after 1 week I was catching stuff on the bottom (near bed of my nail) on things. They also are two different colors making me wonder if they are not lifting from the sides. I am going to have them removed, but only if they remove them the way Marti suggests.

My question is will the 5-Second Brush-On Gel Resin By: IBD at Sally's be the correct thing to use to try to keep this nail together long enough for it to grow out? I had noticed on several posts that is what Marti recommended.

Thanks,
Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2008, 05:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: vertical split fingernail

Yes, I believe I posted the instructions on how to apply the resin as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2008, 09:18 AM   #3
(female)

KLee41 HB User

I took the acrylics off on Saturday. Took about an hour to soak them off. My nails don't look too bad but that's probably because I told the guy who put them on to only lightly buff my nails and they weren't on there but 2 weeks.

Here is what I found at our Sally's Beauty Supply. Big Bondini Plus brush-on nail glue. It smells like Superglue but goes on with a brush. Easier to do than Superglue, works okay.

Nail Life jojoba and tea tree oil cuticle remover. I'm just brushing it on and not pushing back cuticles every time. I'm using it several times a day and it seems to soak in well.

Hopefully my split nail will grow out in about 6 months and I won't have to worry about it again!! (Crossing my fingers)

Thanks again, Marti.
Kathy

Old 06-09-2008, 08:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Cuticle remover should only be used once a week. If you need to rehydrate thenails and the cuticles, go back to Sally and get some Cuticle oil. Botanical oil or something with Jojoba and Vitamin E. You can apply several times a day, massage into the nails and the cuticles and allow the skin to absorb the oils.

Closed Thread