It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2008, 10:04 AM   #1
(female)

Eileen118 HB User
Nail split

I have had gel on my nails for quite some time. More than a year ago my nails were too long so I tried to clip them shorter (I had gel on them so they were pretty thick). One of them was so difficult that I actually split it down the middle, vertically. I thought it was just the gel that split but it was the whole nail. Now it grows out already split down the middle and if I don't have gel on it, it is split. Is there anything I can do about this?

Old 06-30-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Nail split

Clippers for nails should be outlawed!! When yu use clippers to cut a nail, it compresses the nail plate and puts undue pressure down the vertical center. Since you were wearing an overlay (albeit a 'thick' one) the amount of pressure was intensified and it forced the natural nail plate into an unnatural 'flattened' state. When it split down the vertial center, it allowed the nail bed to tear and develop scar tissue, resulting in a permanently split nail. Once the nail bed developes scar tissue, the nail palte cannot properly adhere and will grow to each side of the scar tissue - a permanent split nail. Youwill always have to wear some sort of artificial overlay on this nail to prevent catching the sides and tearing it even more. Sorry, there is no other solution - it will not grow normal again due to the scar tissue on the nail bed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2008, 04:32 AM   #3
(female)

Eileen118 HB User

Thank you. That's what I expected to hear but I was hopeful.

Eileen

Old 07-06-2008, 09:17 AM   #4
(female)

Eileen118 HB User

Marti, you seem quite knowledgeable. Maybe you can answer another problem. I have been getting gel on my nails for 10-12 years with no problems. The last 5 years with the same tech at the same salon. They had been using Nailite gel but said that Nailite had changed their formula and they were having some trouble with it. So they switched to another brand. Around this time my nails started lifting quite a bit. My nail tech thought it might be using different brands, etc. To make a long story short, we went back to the Nailite (apparently they improved their formula again). However this didn't work so I went without gel for a number of months. Then went back and we used the Nailite again and for quite a few months everything was fine. Now the same thing has happened again and I am again without get on my nails and they are of course a mess. Not to mention the verticle split nail problem with the one nail. My nail tech seems to think my nails just need a rest but we just went through this last September. I would be interested on your take of this whole thing. Thank you.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:17 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

It could very well be a change in your hormones. When we experience a change in our hormones, our nails can become a bit more oily and oil is a separating medium. Have you changed anything in your diet? Have you stopped or started taking any kind of medication? Has the technician changed anything in her preparation or application technique?

Old 07-07-2008, 08:49 AM   #6
(female)

Eileen118 HB User

No, no changes with either one of us. We have both been trying to think of any. I'm 63, so most hormonal changes should have taken place some time ago. It's very frustrating. I guess I'll just have to wait a while and try again. Thank you.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:21 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hormonal changes effect us all the time and not just when we go through 'the change'. It is an on-going situation. I will be 60 next month and I still feel changes because of the hormones even though I am taking bio-identical hormones to help with the effects of menopause from a hysterectomy many years ago. Whether you take hormones or not, you still need to have your levels checked at least every 2 years. Hormone levels change all the time and you may need to start taking hormones or have your prescription changed. Hormones effect more of your system than just the 'sex' part of it. It effects all of your adrenal glands because they all secrete hormones.

Closed Thread