It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2008, 06:53 PM   #1
(male)

onewhowaits HB User
Concave toenails

Good day all! My son is 2 and the nails on his 2 big toes are conave; i have found the term *spoon shaped* on these boards and I would describe them in that way as well. No other nails on his fingers or toes have this. Would this be any sign of health issues? I have seen Anemia being mentioned, B12, etc, but only in general reference, nothing in regards to BIG TOENAILS. Neither mom or dad have this in their family. Any help would be great!
Thanks for the service!

Old 07-24-2008, 04:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Concave toenails

The spoon-shaped, concave nails of koilonychia commonly occur with iron-deficiency anemia and Plummer-Vinson syndrome, as a result of thinning and softening of the nail plate. Spoon-shaped nails are a normal, physiologic occurrence in children. Koilonychia tends to resolve, either with treatment or with aging (children).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2008, 02:58 PM   #3
(male)

CheersBrass HB User

My son who will be 2 in August also has the same thing on his 2 big toes and no other nails. It started with one which we thought was just an injury but it didnt get better and then the other one did it. I looked up koilonychia and couldnt help but notice that it states it could be linked to lupus.... My mother, aunt, sister, grandfather all had/have Lupus. What type of doctor should I see first? A dermotologist?

Causes of Koilonychia

* It is often associated with iron-deficiency with or without anemia.
* It can be linked to other causes such as thyroid dysfunction, renal disease, impaired peripheral circulation, systemic lupus erythematosus, Hypoplastic Patella musculoskeletal conditions, hemochromatosis, Raynaud's Disease, nail-patella syndrome and Hypoplastic Patella.
* It may result from trauma.
* Malnutrition
* Injury of nail plate
* Constant occupational exposure of hand nails to petroleum, diesel and other petroleum based products and solvents
* Excessive use of oils and soaps

Last edited by CheersBrass; 07-25-2008 at 03:02 PM. Reason: added info

Old 07-27-2008, 05:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

I would suggest seeing an internist because of all the indications for internal disorders.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:40 PM   #5
(male)

CheersBrass HB User

Marti Thanks for the reply. Statistically what are the odds for a 2 year old having Lupus? He also has had a recurring bout of croup since birth he has had it 5 times and he has been put in the hospital for a uti as well. Could all of this be tied together? The peditrician hasnt been alarmed by any of this... but did recommend us to see an allergist thinking the croup might be induced by something in his surroundings.

Oh and he was a preemie almost a month early.

Last edited by CheersBrass; 07-28-2008 at 09:40 PM.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:22 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I had a client that had Lupus and it didn't seem to affect her nails. You might want to see your dermatologist to rule out Nail Patella syndrome. Any sudden change in the nail plate is cause for concern.

Closed Thread