Re: Concave toenails
My son who will be 2 in August also has the same thing on his 2 big toes and no other nails. It started with one which we thought was just an injury but it didnt get better and then the other one did it. I looked up koilonychia and couldnt help but notice that it states it could be linked to lupus.... My mother, aunt, sister, grandfather all had/have Lupus. What type of doctor should I see first? A dermotologist?
Causes of Koilonychia
* It is often associated with iron-deficiency with or without anemia.
* It can be linked to other causes such as thyroid dysfunction, renal disease, impaired peripheral circulation, systemic lupus erythematosus, Hypoplastic Patella musculoskeletal conditions, hemochromatosis, Raynaud's Disease, nail-patella syndrome and Hypoplastic Patella.
* It may result from trauma.
* Injury of nail plate
* Constant occupational exposure of hand nails to petroleum, diesel and other petroleum based products and solvents
* Excessive use of oils and soaps
Last edited by CheersBrass; 07-25-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Reason: added info