It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2008, 12:01 PM   #1
(female)

bunny32 HB User
Angry Gel vs. Acrylic

So I know that they are but acrylic's but my question is this. I paid $55 to get a gel set put on. They did pink and white but they used powder ad then painted a thin coat of what they called the gel on top and put it under the UV lamp. Can gel nails be powder? Everywhere I have been reading its saying that gel is gel if they used powder, then they just scamed me. In which case I'm ready to go get my money back! Hope you ladies can help!

Old 08-01-2008, 05:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Gel vs. Acrylic

Many unscrupulous salons apply traditional acrylic (liquid and powder) and then use a gel sealer and call them 'gel' nails. They are not! Gel is a very thick 'gooey' mixture that is a one-part system. The technician will apply the gel in thin layers to build up the nail so it is strong. Gel can be applied as pink & white because I wear gel and also wear pink & white. TGel adheres better to the nail plate and is a lot more flexible than traditional acrylic. Traditional acrylic gives hard, thin protection and gel gives flexible strength.

Yes, they did scam you - more than likely because gel is harder to apply correctly than traditional acrylic and many salons have not taken the time to attend hands-on classes to learn how to correctly apply gel.

I was a die-hard acrylic technician and now I am finding that I like the gel a lot better myself. It took me a while to master the application technique, so I only practiced on myself. It takes me half the time to apply and finish than traditional acrylic and I don't have to expose myself to the 'smell' of traditional acrylic.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
(female)

bunny32 HB User

Thanks! I went back in there are told them what happened she asked who told me they were gel, but she wasn't there. The lady also said they are acrylic but a better powder and then they do a thin coat of gel on the top. The aplication was very different because they used two different colored acrylics. They look nice I have always had the traditional acrylic so I wanted to try the gel, which I thought was the plan. Oh well. Is it true that these are better then the traditional acrylics?

Old 08-08-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Gel is for clients that have fairly strong natural nails and only need a bit more strength. Gel allows the natural nail to remain flexible. Traditional acrylic is for those clients that need hard, thin protection. Traditional acrylic is not flexible. It also depends on your lifestyle - if you are more active, you should wear a shorter length and can get by with gel. If your natural nails are very thin to begin with, traditional acrylic would give you more strength.

Closed Thread