It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2008, 06:51 PM   #1
(female)

Polly1423 HB User
vertical line down thumb

hi I have a vertical pink line that seems to be indented in my thumb- not just on top of the nail. I've had this for about three years now and I'd really like to know what this. It's resulted in my nail splitting in half down the middle. It almost seems like a vein sort of. Does anyone know what this is or how I can correct this? Thanks!!!

Old 11-16-2008, 05:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: vertical line down thumb

The nail plate grows forward on the nail bed upon a series of 'rails and grooves' much like a train rides forward on its tracks. The rails are on the surface of the nail bed and the grooves are on the underside of the nail plate. Sometimes, one of the rails will become enlarged and can actually push itw way up and through the nail plate, causing it to split into two sections. When the nail plate becomes dried out due to age or repeated and prolonged use of strong solvents, the rails and grooves become apparent on the nail plate surface as 'ridging'. You can try rehydrating the nail plate with a good quality nail and cuticle oil that contains Jojoba and Vitamin E oils.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
(female)

carolcita HB User

Hi -- I am just now reading these posts, and have this same problem. there is a vertical line down my thumbnail, and the nail splits at the top as it grows out. I have to keep it clipped very short so it doesn't catch and tear. I've tried oils but it doesn't help. I have heard you can have the whole nail removed and let it come back new. have you heard of anyone doing this? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 10-10-2009, 11:36 PM   #4
(female)

turbomama HB User

i have same exact thing carolcita! i am 37 and it appeared about 12 months ago. anyone know what this is and why it occurs?

Closed Thread