It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2008, 11:01 PM   #1
(male)

sroek HB User
Just removed my toe nail plate completely off the bed...

A few days ago, I suffered some trauma to my big toe nail playing a sport which loosened the nail up pretty severely. 3 days later, I lifted up the nail plate and decided to detach it completely from the bed. Now I have an exposed nail bed with no idea how to properly care for it so that a new nail can grow back healthily. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by sroek; 11-19-2008 at 11:02 PM.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Just removed my toe nail plate completely off the bed...

Did you cut off the lifted portion and completely expose the nail bed? You will need to keep it clean and dry until it heals. The nail bed will harden somewhat in an attempt to protect the exposed tissues. I highly suggest not playing any sports until it has completely healed because further trauma would be even more painful. Wrap the exposed nail bed with plain gauze and tie it onto the toe - do not use bandaids as they will keep the area wet and prevent proper healing. Wraping the exposed nail bed will help prevent your shoes from hurting it.

As long as you did not rip out the root, the matrix will continue to produce nail plate cells which will push forward. This new nail may or may not grow in properly adhered to the nail bed. If it doesn't, you need to keep it short so you don't tear it up where it is adhered. If it doesn't adhere to the existing exposed nail bed, the nail bed will harden into 'regular' skin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2008, 10:34 AM   #3
(male)

sroek HB User

Hi, Marti

Yeah, I completely took the nail plate off because it was loose and lifted. I was afraid if I didn't take it off, I wouldn't be able to thoroughly cleanse the bed to prevent fungus/infection. How would you suggest I clean the nail bed until it heals? Would it be bad if I didn't keep the nail bed covered with anything at all?

Thanks for your help.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Clean it with mild soap and warm water adn dry it thoroughly. If it is too tender to dry with a cloth, then use you rblow dryer set on low to dry the moisture. Apply a drop of medicinal peroxide to the area; if it bubbles, bacteria are present. You will want to keep it dry, so wrapping it with a small bit of gauze will help prevent 'wetness' which can lead to masceration. Wrapping it with gauze until the nail bed 'hardens' will prevent your shoes from causing it further injury.

Closed Thread