It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2008, 01:40 PM   #1
(male)

John55 HB User
Does nail polish make toenail fungus worse (during winter)?

My wife's toenail fungus got better after treatment. I believe nail polish may make it worse and suggest her not wearing it during the winter. We live in mid-west where summer is the only season she can wears shoes that expose her nails to fresh air. She always wears toenail polish all year long so she is not sure whether it'll make a difference. For those ladies who only wear toenail polish during summers, do your nails appear healthy during winter?

Old 11-26-2008, 05:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Does nail polish make toenail fungus worse (during winter)?

Ditch the nail polish until the nail is perfectly normal again. Nail polish will allow moisture to build up in the nail plate just as any covering would. Excess moisture is just what the fungal spores need to live. Wearing polish before the nail is normal again can prevent proper healing and the infection can re-activate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2008, 08:32 AM   #3
(male)

John55 HB User

Thanks Marti. That's what I told my wife why she should stop polish toenail, at least for the winter.

She stopped polishing nail during treatment but since her nail condition is much better now, she wants to take the chance. It does look very sexy with toenail polish, even in the winter.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Yes, it does; however, when she takes it off after winter and finds the fungus infection is back, she will wish she didn't wear it. She just might want to forego the 'sexy' look until her nails are completely healthy again.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:07 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

There is nothing sexy (or healthy) about fungus. What is wrong with bare, healthy tootsies? How pretty could something be, if it's covering up a yellow, fungal growth? Would you panel over your living room to obscure a moldy floor? Beauty is skin deep, and fungal skin is ugly skin. Painting it over with enamel based red shiny paint is gross.

Barefoot is beautiful!

Closed Thread