It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2009, 06:34 PM   #1
(female)

sussan HB User
Question growing out gel nails

Marti - I have a permanent french manicure that I would like to remove because I have become tired of the time and money involved in the upkeep. I know that if my nail tech removes them she will file away my nail bed leaving me with with a film of a nail. Since my nails grow quickly, do you think that I can just let them grow out, having my nail tech cut and trim my nails each week? If yes, what should I do if the gel ever starts to lift? I think that my nails will be grown out in about 4 months. Thanks for your help!

Old 01-26-2009, 05:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: growing out gel nails

It all depends on how thickly she applied the gel. As the natural nail grows and pushes the product forward, it will also put excess weight from the product onto the free edge which creates downward tip pressure that leasd to cracks and breakage. Nails with product applied need to be filed and not 'clipped' as it clipping will shatter the product and lead to more problems. If the nail tech removes the product by "hand filing" and not using a drill, then she has more control over how much she is removing. Keep in mind that the prep filing she has done during all your maintenance appointments has thinned out the nail plate and the free edge will be very weak if she completely removes the gel. She can lightly hand file at each appointment to thin out the gel as your natural nail grows in again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
(female)

sussan HB User

Thanks Marti. I will tell her to file them very short and ask her to hand file the gel away a little a a time. Of course she always uses a drill so I'm not sure how my request will be met. Can I have a clear polish put on during this time?

Old 01-26-2009, 07:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Yes, she can apply a clear topcoat. Since you are the client and you are paying for the service, you have the right to have the nail technician meet your request. Personally, I have never used a drill because I sculpt with my brush so there is very little filing to be done. I also apply the product thin, so if I did use a drill, the first swipe would literally remove most of it.

Gel is much softer and easier to file than traditional acrylic, so hand-filing is easier on the product as well as your natural nails.

Last edited by Marti; 01-26-2009 at 07:22 PM.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:58 AM   #5
(female)

sussan HB User

Thanks again Marti!

Closed Thread